Sunday, January 18, 2009

Starring Aaron

Well I don't have any pictures for this posting, so I thought I'd liven things up by actually having Aaron write a few words! Yes, it's true, he actually offered to write (although he claims otherwise.) So without further ado...here's my dearest hub!

Argggggggg! That was my expression when Heidi requested this post. However, since I've had an interesting week I think I can start off with that. Recently school has become a lot more intense as we have started to study head and neck anatomy. It's a bit rough because we've had to memorize every tissue, bone, muscle, vein, artery, nerve, all of their branches and etc... But on the bright side of things it has also been a lot of fun. Probably the most interesting part is that for the last few weeks I have been dissecting a human head. Ironically the gentleman passed away of arteriosclerosis on my birthday and was kind enough to donate his body to science (which after this experience, I'm not sure I could ever do with my own). The most gruesome part has been when we cut the heads in half with a table saw. Although I respect this opportunity, I must say that it was hard for me to not think of any horror movies at this part and am sure that this dissecting experience will be engraved in my mind forever. As if this wasn't exciting enough, I even ended up stabbing myself with a needle I was using on the body. Yes, in case you're wondering, I'll be fine, but was a little freaked out at first.

We'll to move on: we have enjoyed this weekend so far and it couldn't have come at a better time. I'm sure many of you have felt the same that sometimes a long vacation needs another one for recovery. So this weekend has been great for us. Although I was dissecting bodies on Friday morning and thinking of death, by Friday night I was fortunate enough to be enjoying my time in the temple with Heidi and later we got to have dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Heidi's cousin babysat Will, who seemed to miss us a lot and was happy to have us come pick him up. But it was great to have a date without having to deal with a baby.

Our date nights have been limited to only going out once a month, to save money and also because it's such a chore to take our restless baby out and barely feels like a date. We spend the other Friday nights at home, making a frozen pizza or something easy and watching a movie together. But this weekend we went to several stores in an attempt to find some curtains for our living room. (This is Heidi now, by the way, for those of you who couldn't guess.) I really hate the vertical blinds that cover the sliding glass doors right now so I was really excited about this. Unfortunately, the price was right only at Walmart, and I say unfortunately because of this: We visited two walmarts three times in the space of 2 hours and I had to break into another curtain rod box to steal the hardware from that box since the one we wanted didn't have any. Don't worry, of course I brought the one I broke into to customer service so some poor shlub didn't purchase a hardware-less curtain rod.

At the other walmart we bought a cheap bookcase but the box was very sticky. We bought it nonetheless, thinking that the stickness was due to a little packing glue. It turned out that it was actually maple syrup and the box was covered in it, and it had leaked inside the box and ruined the bookcase. To make matters worse, I had opened the box on our living room carpet and it was so sticky that the box got STUCK to the carpet. After much tugging, I got it off and then had to clean the carpet chemically. What a nightmare. I was pretty upset that Walmart seems to have absolutely no qualms about selling their products in that kind of condition, when it was so clearly not fit to be on the shelf. But that is Walmart for you.

Other than that, we've had a great weekend so far. How was yours?

7 comments:

JoEllen said...

Definitely some ghetto behavior from WalMart. Bad big box! Bad bad!
Big props to Aaron for writing! Even though it was totally gross, it was also extremely interesting. I'll bet that's his summation of it, too.

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I don't purchase any large items from Wal-Mart anymore if I can help it. We had a similar experience with a bookcase- only it was cola and not maple syrup- and we didn't harm out carpet in the process. Unfortunately, it seems like I still have to resort to Wally World too often when I just can't find what I want in our price range elsewhere. Annoying. I guess you get what you pay for. . .

mandy said...

I loved reading Aaron's part of the post. Good for him. I'll have Adam read it so he can be reminded of the "good old days". I'm also impressed with your dedication to date nights. We have been doing better lately and it makes things much more fun around here.

Our closest Wal-Mart is in the next town and I never go. I don't miss it. At all.

Kent said...

So when you took over after Aaron wrote 2 whole paragraphs, I wondered which of the following scenarios happened:

Scenario 1-Aaron stops after 2 paragraphs, hands cramped, fingers numb. "This blog stuff is tiring," he proclaims, "I'm going back to laying on the couch."

Scenario 2-Heidi, growing impatient with Aaron's description of the Friday date, rips the computer away from his cold, dead hands and deletes everything he typed about the date. "You can't tell them about THAT," she says, "THAT will be discussed by nobody, in fact, THAT never happened." Aaron nods in conformity. "Yes dear, I'll go wash the dishes."

I spend way too much time on my comments.

Grant and Stacy said...

Have I ever told you how much I love reading kent's comments? My vote is scenario #2. Sounds very exciting. I'd love to read the deleted parts!

Amy said...

WOW1 I am really glad I never had to cut through someone's head with a table saw. I can see how a moment like that could be etched on one's mind for eternity:)
Glad you got to go out on a date and clear your mind after. We rarely get to go out and I miss it.

Sorry about the crappy Walmart experience. They need to check their stock better! Walmart is really the only store we have- that and Smith's - so far it hsn't wronged us.

And by the way - Kent's comment is hillarious!

Kirstie said...

aaron's comments were disgusting. haha, i could never do that!
and heidi, the last date we went on i made my husband stop at pottery barn to buy some curtains, and let me just say he throughly enjoyed it! haha, yeah right.