Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's Suzy, not SUZE.

Good news Mom. I just read that the high next Thursday will be 93 degrees. It's a bit of a stretch, since it's a week away, but that news might help you relax a bit for your quick trip down here. And yes, I say relax, since the high this weekend is 103. 93 is downright chilly!

As you know, I have been officially released as RS pianist and called as Laurel advisor. Tonight was my first mutual activity. I tell you, the youth in my ward are expert memorizers. Each mutual night starts with the YM/YW opening exercises and they recite the YW theme, some scripture from Timothy, the Scout theme or motto or something, and D&C 4, the whole section. It's pretty impressive. Even in my Mission Prep class at BYU we never really got D&C 4 down. Anyway, the Laurels divided up and there were only 2 girls. One other laurel came, but decided she wanted to go with the Mia Maids. So we have to figure out a way to get her to come to Laurels.

We went to another leader's house and started making General Conference notebooks. It's kind of weird because I definitely feel more like a laurel than an advisor, since I'm way closer to their age than the other leaders. But the laurels have known each other forever so are very chummy. Sometimes it actually reminds me of my own YW's class growing up, that I never really felt close to any of the girls in our small class. And for that reason I am happy to be a leader this time.

One of the laurels, the most active one, I am pretty impressed with. She is very nice, but what impresses me is her dedication to church when both parents are inactive. It seems like at that age it would be so much easier to just be inactive. She says that her older sister, who is also very active, has been her strong example.

In other news, it's officially "Ugly Arizona" time of the year. Not for everyone, mind you. Just for us at the apartment. They decided to stop watering the grass and let it die. Then they shave it off really close so it's mostly just dirt. At some point, I expect they will seed it with winter grass and then water like crazy until it's green again. But they are taking their time and it looks terrible right now.

4 comments:

Amy said...

It was good catching up on your blog! I hate Aaron's teacher too! If only there was something that could be done to put teachers like that in their place.

Cute head band- I'll put Honey Bear on my blog!

Miss you.

Brian said...

Hey congrats on your calling as Laurel advisor. That sounds like a lot of responsibility to me. To have younger people looking up to you all the time? Sounds like pressure, and I'm no good under pressure. Best o' luck with it!

Kent said...

Your YM/YW seem like a pretty motivated bunch. I mostly want to wring the necks of all our YM. The YW are pretty good and well behaved. I don't see them memorizing all that, though.

Kirstie said...

that quilt sure is cute!! and i would be so frustrated about the enrichment thing too!!