Well, the pie crust demo went pretty well. I was pretty surprised to learn just how many people I talked to had never made pie before! It's really not that hard but I think it intimidates lots of people. I have never made jam or canned anything before so I guess it kind of intimidates me, but I know that once I just sit and learn, it will seem simple. So yes, pie night 101 went well. And tomorrow I am doing Baptisms for the Dead for Young Women's. I haven't done that since I got endowed, so I'm kind of excited, especially since I've never been in the Mesa temple font. And Friday and Saturday is a Young Women's overnighter in a cabin. And Sunday is a YW's training meeting. And then Wednesday is mutual and Friday is the ward party. Never has church kept me so busy! Young Womens is a fun calling, but is really busy for me. I will definitely be ready for my trip to Utah in November. It's crazy how quickly the holidays are coming up! There are several activities that Aaron and I wanted to do but have had to nix due to lack of time. Aaron is, as usual, busy with school, and I with church and 'social engagements' since I'm, like, SO popular.
Anyone who knows me knows I don't love to be super busy. I need a sufficient amount of down time to regroup, and the more the better. Except if it's too much, because I also need social interaction. I took a personality test once and I was 50/50 intro/extrovert. But during the last couple of months, I spent a ton of time at home working on projects and decided I needed a good dose of socialness. So I've become somewhat of a "Yes" Woman. I have found that saying yes to people more often leads to a lot of open doors. You make friends easier. You have a busier schedule. Your kids get more social interaction and stimulation. You spend more time exercising your body and your vocal chords. But most of all, I don't have as much time to dwell on life's little problems (which, by the way, would be a great segway to my YW lesson on "Worthy Thoughts") Anyway, I wish that I had made more effort last year when I first moved here, because it would have helped me to make friends here faster. Now I feel like I keep making plans with people but don't have enough time for everything. Fortunately I still have the occasional night to just veg on the couch with Aaron.
7 comments:
I totally know what you mean. After I first got married and justin and I lived in our condo, we never hung out all that much, and really never with anyone from our ward. When we moved to Vernal I knew the only way we would survive is if we got involved in our ward. Which we did, and now we always have something to do, and someone to hang out with its great. except now, I need to have a baby to fit in. :{
I've never made a pie crust before. I have 12 jars of delicious homemade apple pie filling in my storage room and no crust to put them in. You know, between the 2 of us we could make a pretty tasty dessert...
It's so fun to be busy, I know you like down time but it sounds like you have so many fun things going on! And an overnighter for two days with no baby?? FUN!
I am so like that: I need social but I totally need down time too.
You are a busy woman! I am in YW's too, but I just get the teach on Sunday job so it isn't quite as busy as you are.
I want to go to Utah too!
i have to admit that i would never take on a pie crust alone. i am that lame at cooking. my friends and i got together once and made some after an rs activity on it, but that's as good as it gets. i'm not really a fruity pie kind of person usually anyways. i prefer chocolate. and ice cream. and brownies:)
I've never made homemade pie crust. You'll have to teach me. I've always wanted to make a completely homemade pie. (I've made pumpkin pie, but with storebought crust.)
You guys are coming up in November? Fun. How long will you be here?
I think everyone needs a good mix of busyness/downtime. Too much of either is draining and/or depressing.
Never made a pie. Never made jam. But I have canned some apples. From downtown. Yes.
Your social experience sounds much like mine in the past year. I moved into the area I'm in about the same time you moved to Mesa. (Said like Jar-jar: "Me, sah?") For the first six months or so I did absolutely squat with the people in the area, but now I find my schedule nothing but full of social this or that. It's just too bad that we Hansens have the curse of being so dagnabbed popular.
Post a Comment