Sunday, November 1, 2009

I got a rock.

This year for Halloween we were...Charlie Brown, Lucy, and Linus from "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"
Will was the Charlie Brown ghost, "I had a little trouble with the scissors", I was Lucy the witch "You should always select a costume that is in direct contrast with your personality", and Aaron was Linus "Have you come to sing pumpkin carols?"
I made all the costumes for less than 20 bucks. I also made my mask out of paper mache, and thought it was pretty dead-on, if I do say so myself. Not very many people guessed who we were, but it was still fun. Ironically, Kurt and his family also dressed as the Peanuts gang, but in their regular clothes. Appropriate for little Charlie.

We carved pumpkins on Monday, too early for Arizona, so we only burned the candles one night. Also because the very next day Will knocked Aaron's pumpkin off the deck and totally broke it. I felt so bad that I baked Aaron cookies, but he didn't really care after all. Still doesn't compare with the classic "Tyler punching the pumpkin in the face" anecdote that my dad loves to recall. Will had fun helping me empty out the pumpkin's guts, but was absolutely devastated when it was time to go to bed and he couldn't hold his pumpkin anymore.
We opted for the stencil designs this year, which take longer but still look pretty cool.

On Friday was the ward Trunk-er-Treat. Aaron got deathly ill with strep throat and couldn't come that night. I made some chili for the event, but it didn't win the cook-off, but probably because it was so nutritious. I ate some, I liked it. I also asked my friend Marrie and her husband to be my date for the night so I wasn't a single parent. Marrie and Tyler with suckers in their mouths.
We ate food and took Will around to the cars. I wasn't wearing my full costume here because the hat was uncomfortable and I could barely see with the mask. Both signs of a great costume.Will looked very cute in his costume, and it was pretty funny to see how mad he would get when trying to step up the curb and step on his costume and get stuck.

The next day I was pretty ready for Halloween to be over. But Aaron's antibiotics had worked miraculously and he was almost completely better so we ended up taking Will trick-or-treating. We weren't sure which was a good neighborhood to go to, so we went to our friend Tyler's family's neighborhood, which ended up being a great place to go. Marrie and Tyler went with us.
Here's Marrie with Will trick-or-treating at a house.
And we put him in the stroller to save time going from house to house, although I couldn't help but wish I had been pushed around when I went trick or treating as a kid. Will was a very good trick-or-treater. There was one street where all the neighbors formed a circle in the middle of the culdesac and so Will just went from person to person instead of going to each different house. It seemed like a fun way to celebrate Halloween, although it would have to be warm enough. It was a perfect night though.

Afterwards we went home and put Will to bed and me, Aaron, Tyler, and Marrie watched "The Others" which is one of the only scary movie I tolerate. I am a total wuss about scary movies. It was a pretty fun Halloween! I also didn't feel bad that we didn't stay home to hand out candy because last year we had one person and probably didn't have more than that this year.

Congrats to my brother and his wife for having their new baby boy! I can't wait to see pictures of him.

12 comments:

mandy said...

Cute costumes! I'm impressed with your paper mache skills.

Rae said...

How fun! What a great idea for costumes. It looks like you all had lots of fun in spite of Aaron maladies.

P.S. Seeing you guys at the pumpkin patch made me jealous. We haven't had shorts and flip flop weather for more than like 3 weeks all year. :(

Sharon said...

I started laughing over Will getting mad because he was stepping on his costume! Haha so cute. I hope Aaron's feeling better.

kurt said...

I think watching a movie on Halloween night (after trick-or-treating/partying is done) is a fun tradition I'd like to do, but haven't really begun yet. I'm looking into more classic scary flicks, as I haven't seen a decent horror film in several years. What are your favorite horror classics?

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Yay for a public blog again!

Alice H said...

That mask you made is amazing. I don't know if I can do homemade costumes every year. This year just about killed me and Kristie even basically made my Lucy costume. Don't worry about people not knowing who you were...people didn't know who we were. And Charlie was the regular Charlie Brown. And was carrying a huge Snoopy/Woodstock doll.

Amy said...

You have more than two comments now! I haven't been checking blogs and I am so sorry to have missed your awesome Halloween post. I would have given you guys first prize for your costumes. So clever! You did great on your mask.

Yes, to answer your question along time ago- I am not private anymore and so far so good. I am monitoring the people who view and the pictures that get looked at and so far we seem to be pedophile free.

I also hate scary movies. Kai and I were discussing what to watch on Halloween. I told him I could only handle The Village or Signs. Didn't matter though. We had a late night with the kids and went straight to bed.

Brian said...

Sorry about not commenting before. Here I am commenting now: "comment."

Also that is one dagnabbed good mask. I had no idea your creative skills extended that far. Is there anything you can't do?

Lechelle said...

Very cute costumes!

Emily said...

Very clever group costume! Love it.

Kent said...

Your paper mache skills are awesome. You should make a whole house out of paper mache.

The biggest problem with costumes is coming up with a unique idea, and I think you scored this time.

Kristie said...

Heidi,
I loved your costumes. Great job.
kristie