Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Name is Lucas

I had my baby. Hooray, hooray! And it is a great story, especially following the last post which should have been entitled "Diary of a Mad Pregnant Woman."

I had two false labors, one on Sunday, April 11th, and the next night. Both times we were very close to heading to the hospital but then the labor stopped. This made me very frustrated and antsy to have the baby. The doctor had mentioned to me that we could maybe break the water if I'd shown any progression at my next appt, which was the next Wednesday. I was SURE I had made progression, after all that false labor, so I got all ready, so excited to get this show on the road!

Here I was, so young and naive...thinking that I could be having the baby that day! 39 Weeks, 3 Days. Yes, I did get a haircut and since the next pictures you will see of me are me after having had a baby, I figured I would show at least one where my hair looks a bit nicer.

The doctor examined me, and lo and behold...NOTHING. No progress. I wanted to cry (Which I did, later.) He said we have two options: schedule a C-section or continue to wait it out. I have to say, it is pretty tempting to want to schedule your child's birth because then you can be UNpregnant, a marvelous thing at that point. But when I thought about that option, I felt a pit in my stomach, I knew it was not what I wanted. But I am not blessed with the virtue of patience, so I knew that waiting for for this happen would be very difficult. And those of you who talked to me in the days leading up to his birth knew how annoyed I was.

Monday, April 19th: I have my 40 week appointment. No progress. The doctor did a quick stripping of the membranes (where he uses his finger to separate the amniotic sac from the uterine walls) which sometimes can help kick-start labor. He actually did it before, when I was 38 weeks, and it obviously didn't work. So I was trying not to get my hopes up, but I kept thinking of my friend Emily, who was 4 days overdue and her midwife stripped her membranes but she didn't go into labor until around midnight.

That's what happened. I felt pretty normal all day, a few weak sauce contractions, but overall fewer than usual. I thought grumpily, "I'm never having this baby!" but I felt a voice tell me to have a little faith, which gave me hope. I went to bed at 11:00 that night and at 11:30 was jolted out of bed but a horribly painful contraction and the feeling like I needed to go to the bathroom. I literally jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom, breathing heavily through the whole contraction. It faded, and I got back in bed. Several minutes later, it happened again. But then I wait and the next one didn't come for awhile, so I figured that they weren't the real thing. Real labor means your contractions are regularly timed. By midnight, I kept having them, and they were getting more and more frequent and much more painful. Aaron started timing them, and we timed probably about 10-15 contractions, all at around 2-3 minutes apart. This got pretty intense fast!

We called the hospital and they told us to come in. I couldn't even talk to them on the phone because my contractions were hurting so badly and coming so frequently. Aaron called our neighbor to come sleep at our house and she arrived a few minutes later. I hobbled around the house between contractions, trying to get stuff together, stuff that had been packed and unpacked because of all the false labor. We got to the hospital and they checked me...I was dilated to six centimeters! Everyone said, "You did a great job laboring at home!" Ha! Yes, kudos to me for the last hour and a half of making sure it was real labor. It had all happened so fast.

After a couple hours of hooking me up to stuff, I finally got the blessed epidural. Now I know what all those women mean when they talk about the relief of the epidural. I hated getting the epidural with my C-section, because I wasn't in pain at all. Also, those pre-warmed hospital blankets are awesome! I want a warming cabinet built in my house some day. The doctor checked me and I was still a 6 so he started me on pitocin. We were pretty tired at this point, so Aaron fell asleep on the couch bed and I tried to rest as much as a person can who is hooked up to about a million medical devices and next to machines that are printing stuff, beeping, and monitoring heart rates.

At about 6 am, the doctor measured me at an 8. You have to be at 10 to start pushing, but he asked me to give one good push, and stretched me to a 10 then and there. "Okay, let's get ready to start pushing!" he said. So I started to push. And push, and push, and push. I pushed for an hour, probably the hardest thing I have ever physically done. I was SO tired. So nauseated. I didn't know where I was pulling my strength from because there were many points where I wanted to give up. I puked about three times, but the nurse just said, "that's okay! Throwing up is just as good as pushing!" Finally, the doctor came in to deliver him, and would not let me quit. I pulled every ounce of strength that I had (kind of like now, writing this blog post when I am drugged on percoset and really want to sleep) and pushed. Then Dr. Huish cut me to third degree and vacuumed Lucas out. What relief! Ahhhhhhhhhhh.....

Geronimo!! It was a long trip, but we made it...
...Alien head and all.

They pulled out my goopy second born and I burst into tears, of relief, gratitude, love, etc. They put him on my chest and I held his flailing little body still. He stopped crying. It was perfect, I was so happy for a multitude of reasons. Obviously I was happy to have given birth to a beautiful boy, but I was actually incredibly happy that I was able to have a vaginal birth. It was a wonderful experience, one that I would gladly go through again and again rather than have another C section. C sections are not that bad when you are doing them, but afterwords was very hard for me. VERY hard. And hard for a long time, not just a few days of healing. I will have to blog more about that another time.

We named him Lucas Jacob Ferguson. He weighed 7 lbs, 13 ounces and was 20 1/2 inches long. He had much shorter hair than Will, and it dark. He looked pretty different the first day. He had browner and much shorter hair than Will did, and we thought he wouldn't look like him much. But today he looks a lot more like Will.

I think this was taken right after they cleaned him up a bit, but I was still in the delivery room.

Will hung out with a few different friends all day (thank you for babysitting!) and then we brought him in to meet his little brother. He was curious about it, but overall pretty jazzed about playing in the hospital room. He was WIRED that day from not having a nap and frankly kind of driving us all nuts!
This is Lucas, Day 2. Right after his manhood has been snipped. "Snip, snip! I can do it Tuesday" See, he looks much more like Will did now.

I am doing well. I lots more to say, but like I mentioned before, I am DRUGGED and exhausted.

24 comments:

Tay said...

Yay! I'm glad it all worked out so well for you! Even if you did have to wait longer than you wanted. :) But yes, the epidural is no problemo when you are concentrating on other, bigger pain.

He is darling. I hope he sleep well for you and you don't need to take the drugs much longer. Those stitches down there just seem like they don't want to feel better.

mandy said...

I love this post! What a great memory to have for Lucas in the future. I also love how you describe all the pain & the puking but then call it a wonderful experience. Haha.

Lucas is adorable. Seriously. What a cute, cute baby. Enjoy him & relax!

P.S. Love your hair.

Katie Torriente: said...

way to go you baby maker! Lucas is so precious!

Amy said...

Hooray! i am so excited for you! Not only that you two have a brand new baby boy, but that you were able to have a VBAC! He is so beautiful and I LOVE his name- It is one I would totally choose for myself! Love it!
Congratulations!

Love you! love your new haircut! Love your baby Lucas!

Kirstie said...

i am so happy for you that it went so well!! he is adorable!! congratulations heidi!!

Janae said...

CONGRATS! He does look like Will in that last picture. What a cutie. I'm so glad you could have a successful VBAC! You'll have to let me know if you feel like you heal quicker after this vs. a C-section. I definitely felt like myself quicker, except for my tearing. That took a while to not have pain down there. I can't imagine being cut to the 3rd degree--I was only 2nd degree! Anyway, I wish you a speedy recovery and would love to hear your views on the differences of a C-section vs. VBAC. (I've had a VBAC and now want another one for this next pregnancy)

kurt said...

The one time I've been on percocet there's no way I could write. It's the one time in my life I actually floated. In mid-air!

Congratulations on the new son and the safe delivery.

Nate said...

That is one stinking cute baby! I am so happy for you guys. enjoy your shorter recovery, you've earned it.

Emily said...

HOORAY! You are superwoman!!! Great job. I'm so glad it all worked out and that you now have an ADORABLE little guy to hold in your arms. Can't wait to meet him soon!

Sarah and Trent said...

Congratulations!! I am SO excited for you and glad that he finally came!!

Alicia said...

Hooray! Congratulations! I'm so glad you got to have a vaginal birth! Hooray! You are a superwoman. Lucas is super cute, and Will looks happy. Exciting. Once again, congratulations!

Leah Ferguson said...

Very cute pictures, he def. has uber chubby cheeks. And what a great birth story even though you had some bumps in there! Glad you were able to have a VBAC

ThePictureBoard.com said...

Congratulations!!! Lucas is adorable, and I'm so glad everything worked out!

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I am setting aside my jealousy of your non-pregnant state just long enough to say congratulations! He is beautiful, and I love the name! OK- now I am back to being sore and jealous. . .

Alice H said...

I loved this post! It's helped me start getting mentally ready. I agree about the epidural. I came this close to writing a thank you card to the doctor who gave it to me. Congratulations - and Lucas is very cute!

Kent said...

Congrats and jazz! I just talked to you on the phone, so...I got nothin' else.

Bruce Hansen said...

Yeah, whatever. I'm not falling for THAT story again.

Trisha said...

Congratulations!!! He is beautiful and so are you! You'll love having two little boys! They're just tons of fun and sweet moments that you can only have with boys and brothers! Let me know if you need help with anything!

Steve and Anne said...

Congrats Heidi! What a process you had to go through! I'm glad to hear you are doing well.

Tiffany said...

He is adorable! sounds like you did a great Job! I love the new hairdo!!!

Tiffany said...

yayyyyyyy!!!!!

Sunnie said...

what a sweet little baby! i love hospital pics/posts. there is something so special about all of it. i am so glad he is here, and he is so cute! congrats!

M said...

Wow!! I'm clapping for you right now! So glad you could have a VBAC!

Brian said...

Finally got around to reading the post, two weeks later. Congrats and all that, like I said on the phone. Can't wait to meet the cute little guy!