Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pregnant Heavy Post

Today is my due date. The only due date I've ever had, actually, since Will was also due April 18th. In the non-pregnant sense, it's kind of cool to make it to my due date. In the very very pregnant sense, it is pretty miserable to make it to your due date.

It probably wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't had episode after episode of false labor. At this point, I'm used to having contractions all day long that never get closer together or regular, and I'm even used to having hours of really painful Braxton Hicks. I'm starting to wonder if my body knows how to follow through with actually having the baby. And I'm also marveling that I haven't had the baby yet. My belly is H-E-A-V-Y, my back is breaking, and now my hip keeps popping in and out each step I take. I thought for sure that I would have made progress by last Wednesday's appointment, but I remained 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced.

Since I was a week early with Will, I am also learning how emotionally crazy this waiting period is. Some days I am pretty upbeat, try to distract myself enough to not focus on my miserable physical state. Other days (especially the days when my allergies are going crazy) I just want to sit on the couch and feel sorry for myself. Oh yes, and when my nighttime sleep isn't interrupted several times with going to the bathroom, I am tossing and turning and sweating because there is a stupid piece of plastic under the sheet in case my water breaks. And PLEASE don't remind me of the lack of sleep that comes once the baby is here because really, that doesn't help anyone. But all these contributing factors are lending to a very moody Heidi.

This is getting vent-y, so I won't go into how sick I am of people asking me when I'm going to have that baby...as if they're the ones who are so irritated that I'm still pregnant. But then again, there are lots of sympathetic moms out there who know how I feel. I'm glad that my own mom is one of them. She had 11 children, most of them came late. The longest she had to wait was 16 days past...16 days! That would make my baby come on May 4th! Of course I doubt my doctor will let me wait that long, and I'm not sure I can either. So we will see what happens.

Oh and also I will blog about Will's birthday...my hard drive crashed recently so I don't have pictures right now until I can find someone to get them off the old drive for me. I might just have to do another picture-less post for his birthday for now.

7 comments:

Tay said...

You could always try rearranging your furniture. But unfortunately there isn't much you can do to induce your own labor. Walking only hurts your back, fyi, until you are in actual labor. And then it helps.

But does it help to know that you are so close?! No? Well, that's fine.

Good luck!

ben and shera said...

So sorry, I totally know how you feel. Ben is really good at getting things off hard drives. Its pretty pricey if you have someone do it. You could ship it to us if you want.

ben and shera said...

So sorry, I totally know how you feel. Ben is really good at getting things off hard drives. Its pretty pricey if you have someone do it. You could ship it to us if you want.

Brian said...

That baby who came 16 days late? Um, yes, that would be me!

Tracie said...

I'm so sorry you've been having prodomal labor. I had BH but not prodomal labor. Talking to those who've been through it, it's not fun. The good news is your body is getting ready. I know how awful the whole "when will I go in labor" thing is.

You're already 2 cm and 80% effaced? That's awesome! You're making wonderful progress! I know that sounds trite because it seems like there's still a long way to go and every day can be a challenge. But it's still quite a bit of progress for not being in "official" labor.

I agree with the whole "have you had the baby yet?" talk. I stopped talking to people once I passed my EDD for that reason. And I've resolved to never bug a pregnant woman with that kind of talk.

I know a variety of ways to "induce" labor if you want to hear about them. (More than just the ones usually talked about.) Otherwise I wish you as much comfort as can be found in the final days of your pregnancy. Soon your new little one will be in your arms and you can enjoy soaking up all the "new baby" love.

Katie Torriente: said...

I hope that baby comes soon! Good luck!

Trisha said...

Okay, so I totally know how you feel. I HATE the waiting game... The constant wondering of when is the baby coming! And the hopes of going early, and then when your due date comes and goes and you're still pregnant! And personally, I would much rather take the sleepless nights with the newborn than sleepless nights of pregnancy... At least you can get comfortable when you do sleep after you have the baby! I'm sure he will come soon. Good luck!