Monday, June 14, 2010

Just Writing

Ironically, the day after I wrote my last post, Will decided to return to his old habits and tantrums. So now he is 50% angel, 50% terrible two-year-old. The thing he does that drives me CRAZY is this fun little game:

Me: Here's your froggy (or sippy cup or banana or whatever he's wanting)
Will: No, no want it
Me: Okay, then I'll have it
Will: No, I need it! (Throws a fit until I offer it again)
Me: Fine! Here you go
Will: No, no want it!

And this cycle repeats several times. Most of the time I don't let it repeat because I just don't give it back the first time he rejects it, I leave the room and he throws a major tantrum. But unless he's already in his room, we tell him to go in his room if he wants to cry about it.

He's also reverted back to clinginess when leaving him in nursery. He was doing so well for so long, just skipping his way into the room and never looking back. But its back to the crying again.

One night I decided to let Lucas cry it out for a little bit. I shut his door and ours so I couldn't hear him and put in earplugs and my pillow over my head. I was only going to wait about 15 minutes but I ended up falling asleep for an hour. When I woke up, he was still crying, and it was so heartbreaking. I got him up and fed him and he fell right to sleep for the next three hours. That was Saturday night. Last night I think he would have done better but his swaddler got wet and the others were dirty so I had to swaddle him in a regular blanket, which he of course kicked his way out of easily and only slept for an hour. I think tonight, since I am washing all his swaddlers today, I will try to have him cry again, because I think we are getting closer to improving, and he did take a longer nap yesterday (a whole hour!) But Sundays are pretty awful for him because he gets really over stimulated at church and was super grumpy until he conked out after church for the night.

Aaron took his Clinical competency test last week (which was kinda of silly timing because they've already started working in the clinic) and he stayed up all night studying for it. He's not sure he passed because it was ridiculously hard, so hopefully he did so he doesn't have to redo any classes. I forgot to mention something pretty cool though: Aaron's first week in the clinic, he did a short oral surgery rotation. He got a patient who needed a tooth extraction, so Aaron started doing it (which is kind of nerve wracking, removing someone's tooth when you've never done that before) and they discovered that this guy needed eight teeth removed! So they just let Aaron go ahead and do it himself, the only one guiding him was a fourth year student who'd been accepted to oral surgery (so he had more experience with it). But Aaron loved it! He did a great job once he got the hang of it and he couldn't stop talking about it afterwards. He is pretty determined now to go on to oral surgery, which means another 4 years at least. So Christina, if you read this, we need to talk to you guys! Aaron wants to do an externship next summer at Helaman's hospital.

I feel really good about Aaron going to to do oral surgery, because I know that he will be in a profession that he loves. He said that whenever he does anything related to oral surgery he gets a 'high' from it, he gets so excited about it and just wants to do it more and more. I told him that is how I feel about my Etsy shop, I just love what I do, sewing and designing children's items. I think that's how you know that it's the right job for you.

Speaking of my Etsy shop, I ended my maternity leave a few weeks ago and have been working on some new items that I'm excited about. I've decided to abandon my idea to expand to girl's dresses for now, and design more quilts. I'm proud of my quilts and have gotten a lot better at making them. I think they are pretty unique and so I'm excited to come up with some new color schemes that are more modern.

That's all for Fergusons small.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Having toddler and a new baby is rough! "This too shall pass."

I can't believe Aaron extracted so many teeth! Wow!

I really love your quilts and think you do a great job on them. I can't wait to see the new color schemes you come up with,

Kent said...

Sundays are the worst. Hendu crabs his way through church and misses his big morning nap, so the rest of the day he's a fussbudget. I've considered staying home from church it's so turrible.

Christina said...

Probably shouldn't talk to Helaman at this point, he is wishing he had done a shorter program...