Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Boys

Hey it's only been a week! That's pretty good for me. Apparently no one cared about Will's birthday two months after the fact (sniff!) so here's more pictures of him at the Tempe splash pad...such a great place to go with kids because you don't have to go swimming but can still get wet. Will LOVED it and cried when we left. Will has really turned around from the child he was when we first brought Lucas home. Most of the time, he is very very good, and very very cute. He talks very clearly and can communicate very well, which has made life so much easier. It even makes it easier to deal with things like this:Tipped the dresser over...completely FLAT. He's lucky he didn't come out looking like roadkill himself. I didn't even notice this until hours later. Crayon on the door

Crayon on the sliding glass door (and a messy deck)

Crayon on the ottoman

Will loves to color, and is hard-pressed to learn the lesson that crayons are for PAPER. I also now have sharpie (thank you Aaron for leaving that in reach) on the dining room table. He is also anxious to potty train since he can frequently be seen taking off his diaper and running around naked. But we're not starting that until after our summer trip and oh yes, he pooped in the tub last night. Whew. It sounds like a lot to deal with but he has seriously made handling these things easier due to his sunny disposition.

But believe it or not, some days this adorable little boy...
...is nothing but whining and crying and not sleeping. He is the worst night sleeper, and any suggestions would be welcomed. His biggest problem is staying asleep for longer than an hour or two. He wakes up at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, respectively. Not every night, but I do check the clock when he wakes up bawling and see those numbers. I have not slept longer than a 2 hour period since he was born. We have tried swaddling (he is swaddled TIGHT but fights it, even in the swaddler), unswaddling, tanking him up right before bed, tanking him up all day long, feeding schedules, staving him off with a binky, white noise, soft pillows/blankets to prop him up, back, stomach, and side sleep positions...etc. Nothing I do will get him to sleep longer. NOTHING!!! I am just trying to be patient and wait until he's old enough to cry it out because we are going mad. We pretty much just sleep with him in bed because it makes it easier to just feed him really quick and fall back to sleep.
Aw, how can I stay mad at you? You and your chubby little thighs. And huge head. He weighs around 12.5 lbs now, at 7 weeks old. Will was nowhere near that big. He's already fitting into most of his 3-6 month outfits and not fitting into 0-3. I love the Chubbins. Which reminds me...

His Nicknames: Lukey, Oo-key (that's how Will says it sometimes), Little Lukey-Ookey, Baby Budda (he looks just like a Budda when he sits up in the swaddler, I need to get a picture of that.) Chubs, Chubbins...That's all I can think of right now.

Here's what I'm wishing for tonight.

10 comments:

Christina said...

I tried all of that stuff too and I think the only thing that helped me was prayers. Lots of em:)

Tay said...

Try one of those wedges in his crib that allow him to side-sleep. I'd suggest to let him sleep on his tummy, but that's not something i'm comfortable suggesting. Sean was a tummy sleeper no matter how we laid him down. That's all.

Is he gassy? That could be a reaction to dairy. Does he just want to be held? Try putting your hand on him instead of picking him up.

And, yes, pray. For strength and patience. And lots of other stuff.

Alice H said...

Wow Heidi - I'm sorry about the sleep. You are so cheerful sounding too! That is a good example to me. And the crayon stuff was funny. Those crazy kids just have eagle eyes about writing utensils. I try not to look at the walls of our place at Charlie's level.

Emily said...

WOW! He has grown up so much in a couple weeks...what an adorable boy. Best of luck in the sleep department. Wish I had some advice... :)

kurt said...

Hmmmmmm. Nope. I have no clue what you can do.

Darin and Kali said...

So sorry about the lack of sleep! Hopefully he will start sleeping soon! We have crayon all over our walls too... is AWESOME! I guess thats what touch up paint is for right?!?

kellie said...

Sorry. Up until last Saturday (when I had the last straw) Jane didn't sleep during the day. And I mean NOT a wink. This led to more and more miserable as the day wore on and then tired girl would not eat because she was so tired, then she was hungry and tired and the cycle continued. I finally fed her, put her in the cradle swing and left her for and hour until she slept. I don;t know if you have one but our cradle swing has been my saving grace.

Amy said...

My doctor told me to let them cry it out before they got to be two months old because then they get to be more stuborn - So this is my philosophy- if they have a double chin then they are big enough to cry it out. If I hear them screamin' I go back to sleep and say if they wake me up again in half an hour then I will get him. If he is a cute and chubby then you know he is not going to starve himself in one night:) Good Luck.

Will and Malachi could color the world together. We have crayon on so many walls and doors!

Paula said...

Are you putting him to sleep on his back? I could never get my children to stay asleep on their backs. I decided the risk of SIDS with my babies sleeping on their stomach was smaller than the risk of my losing my mind and going crazy.

Kent said...

As a father of one, I know everything there is to know about raising children, including yours. Wait, that's not me, that's all the parents in my ward who dole out incessant advice. My bad!