Wednesday, March 19, 2008

5,4,3,2...Earth below us...

Well folks, the countdown is on! Only 30 more days until my due date. However, it seems fairly likely that my due date will silently pass and only make me more and more antsy. I have decided that the best day for me would be April 16th...I will be all done with finals and still have about a week to recover before graduation.
Lately we have been showing people our apartment (no, not just any random person, people who are interested in moving in). It is an interesting thing, showing people your house. Usually when people come over, if there's a bunch of stuff in the living/kitchen area (which there always is) you can just grab it and throw in the the back rooms. Not this case: you have to make sure every little area is clean, even the inside of the pantry or vacuum closet! On the plus side, it also ensures that we keep our house cleaner during the week, which makes me much less stressed out. It also made me realize that as much as I complain about our apt, I will miss it too.
Things I have LOVED about our apartment:
1. The beautiful view of mountains and trees outside our windows
2. The simple layout that makes cleaning much easier, as well as navigating around in the dark.
3. The fact that I was able to paint the walls the colors I wanted
4. The quiet neighborhood
5. The fact that it was our first apartment as a married couple
6. The incredibly CHEAP rent
7. The fact that we didn't have to look for it (Aaron's brother lived in it before and just let us move in right after)
8. The friendly neighbors
9. The responsive maintenance guy
10. The air conditioning in the summer
11. The fact that the kitchen linoleum was so old that I could go for months without mopping and no one could tell :)

Things I will not miss:
1. NO DISHWASHER!!!
2. The secret battles of laundry with the neighbors (one washer to share amongst 8 units)
3. No garbage disposal
4. The fact that you can hear basically everything the neighbors do or say (I heard our downstairs neighbor singing a lullaby to his baby!)
5. Occasionally getting caught in my underwear by a passing neighbor
6. The box elder bug problem in the summer
7. The horrible snow/ice in the parking lot problem in the winter
8. The fact that we keep buying more stuff and running out of room to put it
9. The old appliances
10. The toilet that runs and runs and runs (how did I inherit this hatred of a running toilet from my mom!!)

And there is yet another one of Heidi's famous pro/con lists. Hope you enjoyed it. Also I hope that I didn't deter any prospective apartment hunters out there from being interested...it truly is a STEAL for what we pay ($440 for 2 bd).

1 comment:

Kent said...

It's amazing when you move into a place with all of the things that you DO want and not very many of the things that bug you, how much better your life is. We have a dishwasher, garbage disposal, washer, dryer, all new appliances, and very efficient heating and cooling (under 100 bucks a month even in the coldest month!). My old place, and Mel's, had none of those things and life was hellish, but you don't realize it until you have them all. So that makes paying 1640 a month that much more bearable.