I haven't had much trouble with people patting my belly or telling me how large I look until lately. I also didn't think I would care if people did say stuff like that because I always thought when I used to see pregnant woman that they looked so good, although they did have very large bellies. Well, that last several weeks have been my joy to begin receiving the unsolicited opinions of others.
"Looking large, Heidi."
"You're huge!"
"Are you having twins?" (my personal favorite said to me by a temple veil worker DURING a session.)
So here's a small piece of advice to all of you who might struggle with tactfulness from time to time (Kurt): DON'T tell a pregnant woman how big she looks...EVER.
7 comments:
Why Heidi, I didn't even realize you WERE pregnant, you're so svelte and slim, it's amazing!
How's that?
my husband is always full of such loving comments about how large i am when i've got a big belly. it's so encouraging! and i hate when people say dumb stuff, too. if you can't say something nice, just keep your mouth shut! and i'm sure you look great. i'm excited for you guys. i'm sure aaron will be a great dad.
AMEN!!!! People never realize how much those comments can hurt the feelings of someone who is involuntarily off balance both physically and emotionally. It seems silly to me that they were so hurtful when I was pregnant- but I well remember when 'Hey there Big Stuff' put me to tears.
AMEN. People have no IDEA. I feel for you. Just wait until after the baby comes, and they say, "You only look 5 months pregnant now!" and "Have you had your baby yet?" Oh, the joy. Sorry to be so negative, but figured I'd let you know what's coming. :)
And...once you've had your baby everyone feels compelled to comment on the size of your baby, whether big or small. I'll never forget my friend's husband telling me Ethan, as a baby, was FAT! Rude! Looking back, he was probably right but it is not what you want to hear as a new mom.
I think the rudest comment I ever got--near the end of my 7th pregnancy--was when this unknown woman in a craft store--from about 20 feet away, called out loudly, "You poor woman! Are you having TRIPLETS?!!!" It took me a few seconds to realize it was actually me that she was talking to and of course, I had no snappy comeback for her--and I still don't. Second place was to this neighbor who asked me during my 4th pregnancy (the baby weighed 9 lbs.) if I was quite sure that I wasn't having twins. You just have to collect these comments so you can tell stories later.
Post a Comment