I think this has been the longest I have gone without posting in a while! But I just didn't have time because my new project has been this: getting William to nap during the day!! He has become very stubborn about staying asleep. Last night I finally broke down and bought this thing that hangs on his crib and makes sounds and plays lulling music and he seems to like it, but the problem is that he won't STAY asleep. His flailing arms wake him up. Finally we decided to try putting him down on his stomach (a SIDS faux-pas) and he went right to sleep...then a few minutes later once he was in a deep sleep, we rolled him onto his side. Hooray!! He finally slept for about 3 hours and I got to take a nap myself.
To all expecting parents reading this: it is a horrible slap in the face when you go home from the hospital with your baby and realize that nights are no longer yours. You give up the right to get a decent night's sleep when you have a baby, and I really didn't think about that that much when I was pregnant.
Anyway, here are some cute pictures:

This was when I fell asleep next to Will and then managed to escape for a minute and he was still in the exact same position.

Typical gremlin face

Mother's Day: he is growing up so fast!

This one is for Kurt.
Also, we went to the Thanksgiving Point gardens last week for awhile, and let me recommend this! It is so beautiful to walk the grounds and the tulips are in their prime. Also, for a fun date activity, you can rent Segways and zip around the gardens.




There is this really cool Koi pond there...these fish are like the size of trout. A little freaky, also.

Welp, gotta run off to Will.
8 comments:
hey there. don't be creeped out, but i check your blog occasionally (i'm kent's friend...)
anyways, i just thought i'd tell you that i ALWAYS put my kids to sleep on their tummies. they have horrible acid reflux and can not sleep well on their backs. so don't feel guilty about it. do what you need to do to stay sane.
i mean...i'm pretty sure we all slept on our tummies and we're still around.
I second that - we also put our kids to bed on their stomachs. Those doctors keep changing their minds and I've determined they really don't know what they are talking about.
I know nothing about parenting, but every week it seems there is a "new study" where you shouldn't do X but then the next week there's an even newer study where X is okay and you should've been doing it all along so what is wrong with you!
So the moral of the story is: do what ya feel.
Hey Heidi- i have to say you have one very cute baby boy. I love your blog by the way. i found it through Janae's one.
Katie
I can't believe your child was chosen as Napoleon's reincarnate. I'm stoked to meet "Will" more than ever now!
An added benefit to sleeping on their tummies, is that they get stronger necks and arms a lot quicker than back sleepers. You don't have to worry about setting a certain time to do "tummy time". I know what you mean though with being afraid they may die. I was always grateful when my children could roll over, because then I didn't have the guilt when I put them to sleep on their tummies. I figured they would roll over before they would die.
We always start our kids out on their backs, then in exasperation put them on their stomachs after a few weeks. Then they die, and we can finallly sleep through the night again!
I'm surfing the web for sleep research and came across
your blog. If you ever want to know why infants sleep
better on their stomachs just look at sleep study electroencephalograms (EEG) of back sleeping babies compared to stomach sleeping babies.
The many studies done have shown that babies who sleep on
their backs get very little Deep Sleep (Stage 4 NREM sleep) whereas
babies who sleep on their stomachs get lots of it. It's likely that
a very small number of babies (say 1 in 1000) have an inability
to arouse from Deep Sleep so the back sleep position helps them because
it causes them to never go into Deep Sleep for an extensive time period. But,
for the other 999 out 1000 or so babies that are not at risk for
SIDS it simply does away with Deep Sleep and has no benefits. Deep Sleep
is when Declarative Memory is consolidated. So, we have a generation
of infants (since about 1992) or so who have gotten very little Deep
Sleep during their first year of life. Declarative Memory issues are a
hallmark sign of a number of disorders having to do with learning and
attention. Anyways, that's why I think your doing the right thing.
Here's my blog:
http://tummysleepcentral.blogspot.com/
I also recommend a paper by Dr. Ralph Pelligra of NASA who has written
a paper called "A reassessment of the SIDS back to sleep campaign"
http://cgi.thescientificworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/processHtml.pl?Id=2005.03.71.html&format=Dreamweaver
Scripps Howard news service has published a lot of articles too
suggesting that the SIDS statistics are misleading also.
Post a Comment