Costco: Fun or No?I was talking to my brother today and I mentioned our plans for going to Costco later that day. He mentioned that he hates going to Costco because he always spends a fortune and is so tired afterwards. I admitted that going to Costco is actually kind of an outing for us. Yes, no matter how hard you try, it is near impossible to not spend ANY money when going to Costco, but other than that, we have fun when we go. It's not nearly as dirty and sticky as Walmart, and you get that 'lucky me' exclusive feeling because you have to have a membership to 'attend.'
So today we set out for Costco, just a short drive for us. As we strolled around our usual route, I felt the hunger pangs I get as I remember my meager lunch and lack of snacks. But that problem is easily remedied with the inevitable endless free samples. Today I had a meal of salmon, almonds, edamame, orange juice, and chicken quesadilla. But how does one avoid spending a fortune at Costco? When you see all the delicious food in their giant containers, those 'it's only 8 bucks' start to add up fast. We decided awhile ago that Costco would be only our supplemental store, to be visited once a month at the most, and NEVER buy produce there. When you have 2.5 people to feed, can you honestly eat 40 kiwis in one week? A mistake I will not make again. Unfortunately, we obeyed these rules today and still ended up spending a fair chunk. But it was quality time spent together and Will was happy as a clam.
Some people swear by Costco, others swear against it, while still others view it as a necessary evil. But we view it as a day at the park. The very expensive, indoor park.
7 comments:
I like Costco and Sam's too. We even have an equivalent here too. However, if I am going to have an "outing" at a store, I usually head to a bookstore.
If I were close to a Costco, I think I'd buy a membership. We have a Sam's membership as a gift from Mark's parents, but it doesn't seem to be such a great bargain to me, except on a few items (like honey and brown sugar), so I rarely go. I like going to places like that if I'm getting good deals, but like you wrote, it's easy to drop a ton of cash.
It looks like you guys had a fun anniversary! Also, i really enjoyed the friend/dating post- it was funny.
Ben and I have a Costco budget. Its not much and usually taken out in cash so we hardly overspend there. But I always feel a little funny at the checkout with my bag of frozen chicken and garbage bags while the ladies in front and back have a HUGE cartload full. Sometimes I even get a comment from the checkout person. Rude. But a box of garbage bags for $12 sometimes lasts me a whole year! You cant beat that!
We're too far away from the Costco here to join...but I hear you about the samples. My parents go out on 'dates' to Costco in Dallas, cause of the amusement park feeling you talked about. I always thought it was funny but now I understand - we end up standing with Charlie when we go to a restaurant anyways. haha.
Costco also has that snack bar for reasonably priced hot dogs and sitch.
I am in the "necessarily evil" camp, and have the things we always buy there: Gatorade, cheese, fruit snacks, boxes of candy bars, garbage bags (although only once a year, like Shera). I'm not sure if the Costco membership is worth it, but it's probably pretty close.
I will buy produce there, but only the oranges and pomegranates. Costco's poms are the best.
Costco is right next to the Michael's, so usually Mel goes by herself so she can spend a year at Michael's. Otherwise, I'd be soooooo bored waiting for her to stop looking at glitter.
Adam loves Costco and I tolerate it. I much prefer shopping there when I can go alone because then I am super speedy. I will confess though to having an Executive membership and spending enough there each year to make money on the deal. We live off their produce, eggs, milk and bread. Throw in some diapers and detergent once in awhile and we are good.
Post a Comment