Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Oswald


The quote was from "Oswald," my favorite children's TV show. Oswald is a blue octopus voiced by Fred Savage who lives in Big City and is the nicest and friendliest character on TV. Too nice, though, to the point of people bossing him around and leaving him out. He has a penguin best friend named Henry who has a thick New England accent of some sort. Henry is my favorite character. Henry always has the best lines and reminds me of my brother Brian sometimes.

According to Wikipedia, Henry is...

"...Oswald's downstairs neighbor and closest friend. A persnickety penguin, Henry is a creature of habit in every way and usually shuns the idea of trying different things, though he can sometimes be persuaded otherwise. He does his best to maintain a rigid schedule, which includes taking care of his extensive spoon collection, ending every evening watching "Penguin Patrol", his favorite TV show, and doing the Penguin Polka before bedtime. Most of Henry's favorite foods are fish-flavored and he is a proven expert on snow. He has an identical cousin from the North named Louie, and on occasion speaks of an Aunt Arctica. His motto is "slo-ow-w and steady-y"."


I have to admit that I probably like this show more than Will does. It's by far the least annoying cartoon on television (except for Oswald's made-up songs which rarely have any real melody) and no one is ever yelling at you (like Go, Diego, Go.) It's very creative as well. The city buildings and cars are unlikely shapes, such as a gumball machine, a rocket ship, a violin, a lemon, etc. The characters are also very strange, such as two little egg men, a snowman, a tree, a pumpkin-head guy, a bunch of men cut out of paper. The best part of the show is that the only song that ever gets stuck in your head is the theme song which has no words and is just a pleasant little tune.

I did away with "Lazy Town," which Will did like somewhat, but the songs were ALWAYS in my head and the bad guy, Robbie Rotten, was so incredibly annoying. His costume was so ridiculous, with his pants all the way up to his chest, a tiny little matching vest, a spandex shirt with strange little white cuffs at the wrists. Additionally, some of his 'disguises' which actually pretty terrifying. So I said, "No more."
There comes a time in every parents' life when you have regulate what your kids watch. And that includes even the annoying shows.

6 comments:

JoEllen said...

What, 2 blogs in 2 days? amazing. Yeah, shoulda guessed Henry. We haven't watched much Oswald for awhile. We've been into WordGirl, which is easily my favorite PBSKids show, if not my favorite show on tv these days. Nothin to watch. Pathetic.

kurt said...

I knew I recognized it. Oswald's my favorite minor character in "Jeeves Arrival".

Tracie said...

Ah...what I have to look forward to. Spending my time watching kids' shows. As long as there's no purple dinosaur in my house, I think I'll survive.

Brian said...

I suppose I'll have to watch Oswald sometime to check out this Hank character. Is he as much like me as Monk is, or even more so? That Wikipedia description makes him sound like my very replica, including even the Penguin Polka before bedtime.

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I used to make Emma watch Charlie and Lola with me because I thought it was so cute.

Kent said...

That Rotten Robert guy is about the creepiest looking person ever. For kid's tv, it's all about getting rid of the creepiest (like Teletubbies) or the gayest (like Barney) shows.