Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Shower for Babies?

So the baby shower that I've been planning for months finally came and went. It was for my best friend Shera who is having a girl and I've kind of been going crazy making girly stuff for her. The shower was great fun. We had it at the beautiful Mt. Timpanogos Park up Provo Canyon. It has beautiful pavilions and landscaping and is right smack in the middle of all the mountains. I kind of did a theme of 'childhood' and it was a co-ed party, which I think is awesome. After all, it's not like the dad isn't involved in the whole process of raising a child and especially Shera's husband Ben is really into it. My gift was this:Since Shera's not so much a lover of pink, I chose some other fav colors. This was SO easy to make and I can't believe people charge upwards of $100 for these things.
For the food, I did a candy buffet of candy that Shera and Ben love and if anyone remembers Shera and me from when we were little, they will know how candy-idiot-brained we were. We would ride our bikes for MILES just to blow a wad of cash on candy.
I made a bunch of cupcakes and frosted them with white and put different colored sprinkles and candy on them. I also made taffy-kabobs. Shera's sisters Dawn and Aimee really helped me out and made a bunch of other food (actual food, not candy) that was devoured.
The decorations were kind of centered around the diaper cake and the colors. My friend Tiffany saved up like 20 baby food jars and I used them as votive holders and mini-vases. I put white daisies in them since Shera loves daisies and used some red crinkle paper confetti lining it. We had 4 other tables that were for games. Note Dawn in the back gobbling down the skittles
There were several games but the funniest one was the guess the baby food game. All of the people there didn't have kids and therefore were still grossed out about the prospect of tasting baby food. But good ol' Ben...he loved some of them so much he just went ahead and polished them off. The unwrapping of gifts...and Ben explains why these were the best pacifiers etc, etc, etc. The only prob with that is that your kid usually decided which binkys are best. Sorry Ben.

9 comments:

mandy said...

What a fun shower. You did such a good job it (almost) makes me want to have another baby so you can throw a shower for me. Love the candy bar, decorations and diaper cake. Beautiful!

JoEllen said...

Great job on the cake! I'm glad I got to see it, if only online... All of those decorations and refreshments looked wonderful too.

kurt said...

To be quite honest, I totally believe that people would charge over $100 for your gift to Shera. It looks very impressive. And I also guarantee that without training I wouldn't be able to assemble that on my own in a million years. As long as people don't know how simple something might be--it's all about presentation. It really does look quite impressive.

Oh, and in addition to string cheese and a little crunchies granola bar, Alice packed me a can of baby yogurt in my lunch tonight. Mmmmmmm...yo-baby yogurt.

Were there any fish-heads in the decorations?

Kyle and Megan said...

I LOVE that diaper cake you made!!! I saw one at a shower a few months ago, but yours looks divine! I may have to try my hand at one of those (although much less impressive) for a shower this week! Thanks for the idea!

Amy said...

You are awesome! I love all you did for that shower! i have always seen the diaper in those kinds of cakes rolled and tied with a string, but I like what you did much better. It was such a pain to untie all those strings when I needed a diaper.

I love the waltz you did with Will and I love the green color on the walls in the back. I am excited to see you in person and chit chat for real in a few weeks.

Grant and Stacy said...

WOW! Impressive! Looks like you put a lot of work into this shower, and people definitely enjoyed it!

Kirstie said...

i LOVE that cake!! you are so talented, i could never make that!! it is amazing!! your friend is so lucky to have you!!

Sunnie said...

awesome shower! wow you did such a good job. i loved all of it. that diaper cake was so beautiful! way to go!

Kent said...

Just something to think about for the next baby shower you throw: Guys like me don't want to be invited. Only if I'm VERY close to the people having the baby, like a sibling or my wife. As soon as the wives find out it's a co-ed party, it's MANDATORY that their husbands go, they have no say in the matter. So do them a solid and keep the showers to female only.

Our neighbors had a co-ed shower that we got invited to, and I'm super glad I dodged that bullet with a YM's activity. But I guess that's just me, and other men like me who probably belong at the Bad Attitude Table.