Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Swavek

Bright and early (4 am) on Wednesday morning we made the long drive from the dead desert and oh so plentiful traffic cameras to here:
This the glorious view from the Ferguson's deck and I love it. I want it. I cry a little when I remember we have to go home to Arizona. And the weather has been rainy and sunny, overcast and breezy. In the 80's. Heavenly.

Thursday I went and saw my mama and made dinner with her. We spent Friday afternoon at a BBQ with Aaron's friends as seen here:And then on Saturday morning Shera and I went to the provo parade and met up with more of my family. The best part of the parade was the overweight guy in the Captain America costume bearing his enormous gut alongside his fake muscles. Or maybe it was the hordes of children trampling me to grab that one taffy thrown by a parader. Or possibly that my mom spent the entire parade doing the crossword. I can't decide which. But we had a great spot in the shade and mostly avoided traffic afterwards. This little girl is the funniest kid. She is 4 and tiny. But sharp as a tack. This little girl has gone through more surgeries and stays in the hospital than most people do in their lives. But she is doing well now and has the cutest physical therapy walker ever. I spent the afternoon slaving away over this beaut, zoom in real close and appreciate. I was so tired after making it and remind me to never offer to make cakes again. In the evening we went to another BBQ at my parents house. This is Will making a puppet out of a cup. "And this is Mrs. Sock!" (Reference anyone?)Will also discovered how delightful a watermelon rind can be. He gnawed on this thing for about 20 minutes and when I gave him another one to stave off his up-too-late whininess, it was soon confiscated by Mika who gave it a good chew. Good ol' ABC watermelon rind. After the eating, we had the cul-de-sac of fire. First was sparklers...note Mindy's amazement as shown in her "oo-ing" lips. Will was more interested in dragging his jeans and new shoes all over the place and getting them muddy and ripped up. But eventually we saw what the 4th is all about... Oh yes, and freedom. It was a great 4th and exhausting.

13 comments:

Kirstie said...

i love the 4th in utah!! and i also love the view from the deck as well!

Sunnie said...

my parents told me you guys were up there for the 4th. so fun! that cake is a beauty- i love it!

Nate said...

Thanks for posting a pic of my face. It is a nice reminder that I need to lose some weight! We are excited to have you guys back in Utah!

Leah Ferguson said...

Wow that cake looks delicious, I wish I could say I slaved over something that nice! And I've learned the hard way that clothes never stay nice long.. sad but true.

April Morgan McCoy "Auntie April" said...

That seems like so much fun. My family in Layton had a blast and I love Fourth of July in Utah. It doesn't get any better.

Steve and Anne said...

Oh I'm so jealous! The 4th in Provo is the best! Like seriously, I don't know anywhere else that does such a fun celebration, with the parade and stadium of fire! So fun! And good job on the cake by the way, it looks awesome! I totally should have taken that cake decorating class with you so I could make cakes like that! Hope you are having fun in Utah...I cannot wait until boards are over!

Katie Torriente: said...

Looks like tons of fun, and your cake is perfection! We need to hang out while your here in the UT!

JoEllen said...

I wish we were already there. I'm feeling torn on staying too long away from home and not spending enough time in UT.

mandy said...

I love your cake. I've seen it done with fruit but M&M's trump fruit any day. Have fun in UT!

Amy said...

Meet the Robinson's?????

How fun to travel to Utah where the weather is cooler. Our camping trip to Cedar City was the same way- so nice and cool we didn't want to ever come back!

I loved this post and how it was narrated. You captured some funny moments. I am excited to see you soon too!!!

Amy said...

Oh, yeah . . . I love that cake! It looks like it really did take a lot of work.

Paula said...

Great pictures, Heidi! And sorry the cake took too long since I think it was my fault you volunteered to make it.

Lorana said...

We were in Utah in early June, that time of year when the weather is perfect up there, and it seemed very idyllic compared to here in a few ways. But if AZ is just a bunch of desert and speed cameras to you, I'd say you haven't seen much of it at all. When you get back and are sick of the heat, let me know and I'll share some of my summer survival strategies. It really can be a great place to live.