Friday, August 7, 2009

Hungry People Singing Hot Hot Hot

I woke up in a panic this morning....about the quilt. I forgot to pre-shrink the fabric! Is it going to look all funky and messed up? Is all my hard work going to be wrecked? You would think that my panic-induced state would be related to this:My poor son in the ER for 5 hours last night.

Well, the mind is a funny thing, and after the way I slept last night, I guess all the stresses just built up. And now onto the story:

Will had been warm. Well, I stupidly thought that since we live in Arizona and it's 115 degrees outside, he was just hot, having slept in his room near a big window for the last 3 hours. But he had also been waking up crying from his naps only 30 minutes after I put him down, which is unusual for him. So yesterday at around 1 pm I took his temperature and it was around 99 or 100. Slight fever, I thought, due to those massive teeth poking through the back of the mouth. I gave him some Tylenol and put him back down. 3.5 hours later, he woke up burning hot, and I took his temp again to find it at 104.8. Woah. Called the doctor, advised to take him to the ER. Kind of had a freak out moment.

Twenty minutes later we arrive at the ER and check in. When we finally see the doc, she wants him to have a chest x-ray and a urine sample but is not concerned. But a chest x-ray is terrifying for a little boy and a urine sample involves a catheter. There was a lot of sadness involved. Unfortunately the urine sample showed that he was dehydrated and required an IV. So he had to be 'mummified' by getting swaddled except for one arm and again, terrified. Not to mention the needle. Blood drawn, IV in. IV goes extremely slow and we had to keep Will's arm straight the whole time. Longest 2 hours of my life. Blood test comes back positive for some type of bacteria, but doc still thinks it's a virus. Will gets a antibiotic shot in the leg. We finally leave the hospital at 10 pm, starving.

At home, Will goes to bed, only to wake up crying every hour for the next 4 hours. More medicine, refuses bottles. 3 am, finally we give Will a blessing and he takes some water and sleeps! 8 am, still burning up, medicine, bottle. Goes back to sleep. Whew. Follow-up today with the pediatrition.

How was your day yesterday?

7 comments:

Liesl said...

Heavens. Glad to see he's okay. I'm so sorry you had to go through that stress. That's rough.

But I had a pretty good day yesterday, except I wasn't a huge fan of all the smoke in the valley.

Brian said...

Well that sounds scary! 104.8?! I've never heard of a temperature so high. I hope he stays OK.

mandy said...

Terrible. Hopefully no more scares like that from the little man. I'm with you on the quilt thing though--that's completely how my mind works too.

JoEllen said...

Wow, what a miserable experience. Poor little guy, I hope he (and you and Aaron) is getting some rest and feeling better. Smart to bring Froggy to the ER.

Paula said...

The ER sounds most unpleasant and hopefully Will is feeling better. I think your quilt will be okay though. I have done that before and I don't remember any major problems.

Kent said...

My day was fine yesterday, thanks for asking.

At least it shows Will's a fighter!

Steve and Anne said...

I heard all about this at the Enrichment Mtg. last week. That's so scary! We talked to Aaron at chruch and he made it sound like Will was pretty terrified and miserable at the ER, understandably so. I hope he is doing ok. P.S. The quilt you're making is adorable!