Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fogeys


One thing I have noticed more this year than last year, about living in Arizona, is the extreme number of Snow Birds we have. Meaning, old people who come here to retire or to spend the winter. It seems like they are everywhere! And I hate to say it, but it's getting aggravating. I imagine it's kind of like living in Provo right by BYU and not being student. You have students everywhere you go and they are just obnoxiously in the way.

Aaron and I usually go to dinner pretty early when we go because we like to avoid the wait and usually take Will with us who is pretty loud. I think this particular time we went at around 5. It was packed!! And 90% of the people waiting in the lounge were over the age of 70. Not to mention they were letting in all of these call-ahead people, making our wait much longer. Finally we got in and ate, and by the time we left it was 7 pm and the waiting area was empty. Normal restaurant eating time, and the place was empty.

But the most aggravating thing is driving. I feel like I am on the road with a bunch of student drivers, needing to change lanes every five seconds because someone is going abnormally slow. But pretty much every time I am out on the road, I have one or two times of saying out loud, "what the heck is this person doing?!" They just think, "hmmm, I need to turn around...this seems like as good a place to do it as any" and just swerve a u-turn into oncoming traffic, regardless of safety or if it's legal.

Not to say that all these people are even old, but it just seems like the wintertime here is much different than the summer in these regards. And not to say that I hate old people! I love going to Sprouts and having all the oldies dote upon my adorable child, who is usually eating a banana out of the cart. I guess my point is that it gets tiring to be around it all the time, just as I'm sure a person would get annoyed as a permanent resident in a college town.

6 comments:

Bruce Hansen said...

I believe it was Jerry Seinfeld who said that once drivers get to a certain age, they no longer turn around when they back their car up. They've made it this long, Jerry says, that everybody else can just get out of their way.

In fact, I just found the bit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT-sBagXbT0

Lechelle said...

That is really funny. I just got a picture in my mind of you as an old person yelling at BYU students. Then you as you, shaking your fist at old people. I love it.

Katie Torriente: said...

watch out for the old folks, they're CRAZY!

Kirstie said...

we have tons of snow-birds in our ward down here as well! i feel like just as i get to know the older people, we get a whole new batch of them!

Vanessa said...

Oh my gosh, don't even get me started on this subject. Bad/inconvenient drivers make my blood boil like no other! In fact, I was at the doctor the other day after sitting in traffic for two hours (I had just taken Sam to the airport) and my blood pressure was off the charts! haha

I don't care who you are, at age 65 your license should be confiscated. Maybe we should start lobbying a free senior car service... so they can still get around after the confiscation.

Kent said...

I went to Costco once on a weekday because I was in the neighborhood, and it was SWARMING with geezers. And as much as old people are in the way with their big boats for automobiles, they're WAY more in the way with those gigantic Costco carts. I can't decide if it's worse on Saturdays with the crowds or weekdays with the geezers.