Saturday, December 15, 2007

Beautiful Harry, I love the feathers

Well, the big day finally came and it was a doo-oozy! I was on the run all day doing work, shopping, massive amounts of cooking and cleaning, and taking my Spanish final. Not easy, especially when you're pregnant! My back felt like it was broken by the time I finally rolled into bed at the early hour of 3 am. So anyways, here's what happened. Aaron and I made pizza for our cheap date this week so I decided to make some for my returning family. That's why it was the big day, by the way. They were going to get in at about 12 pm but I thought they would be pretty hungry after eating plane food all day so I was going to make them pizza and artichoke spinach dip (which turned out pretty good, by the way. Thank you Chef John.) Plus I still had to put up a bunch of their Christmas decorations. So we ended up going over there at like 11 pm and ran around trying to get the pizza made and the decorations up. I put those decorations up in like a half hour, my quickest ever! I guess after doing it for so many years you get pretty fast. It brought back memories of agonizing grief when the stupid garland wouldn't stay pinned up on the wall. So anyway, they pulled up in the car and Liesl ran in and threw her arms around me. Then my Mom came in, then Brian and Bruce. Then Craig's car pulled up with Dad, Grandma, and Tyler (or Ralph if you please.) It was all very exiting. And they were indeed starving. So we milled around and chatted and they all seemed amazed at how huge the hallways were and how great it was to actually have water in the toilets again. By the way, I should probably mention to those of you who didn't know, my parents, little sister, and brother have all spent the last 5 months in Europe doing a study abroad. And my little brother came home with them off his mission in Italy. The weirdest thing was how seeing them again it was like they'd never even been gone. Even Tyler! It was weird to think he's been gone for two whole years but it was like it was yesterday that I just saw him. Actually, it was yesterday! My dad seemed the most different. He had lost a lot of weight and seemed older and wiser and a little more serious. But maybe he was just tired too. Who knows. Well, it was fun to see them and their 20 pieces of luggage, albeit that it was like 2 in the morning and I was freaking tired.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I beat Kent to posting a comment! Hooray! You are a very loving daughter/sister to do all of that for their arrival home. We can't wait to come and join the party. And now Kent and I are expecting a similar greeting...

Anonymous said...

Actually, I believe the line is "Fabulous, Harry. I love the feathers." Those critics love to use the word fabulous. The house, by the way, looks fabulous. I am very impressed that you did it so quickly. If I tried to do something like that, it would take me all Christmas season long to do all that you did. You sure are talented!!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I hope that your capstone went well today!!!

Pete said...

Welcome home to the Hansens! Just don't go all European on us.