Thursday, December 13, 2007

Rich Uncle Skeleton

This morning I was listening to the 101.9 morning show and they were having people call in saying which Christmas song they hated. By far, the number one most hated song was "Christmas Shoes," which also happens to be MY most hated Christmas song! Let me tell you why. It's a song which was apparently made based off a book, but I have never read the book so all I am going to talk about is the song. So the song is about some kid who wants to buy some new shoes for his mom who is dying so she can look pretty when she meets Jesus. Here are the reasons I hate this song: first, it's a cheap cry. I think it's so annoying when people/authors/artists take guaranteed-to-cry subjects like death and terminal illnesses and base their story on them so that they will evoke human emotion. It's like in that horrible LDS movie "Charly" where it's a nice story about how a girl is converted to the church and they get married and instead of living happily ever after, she suddenly for no reason develops cancer and dies. Sorry if I ruined that for any of you, but seriously, I am doing you a favor. The second and most important reason I hate the "Christmas Shoes" song is because I can't stand it when kids sing on the radio. There's just something so annoying to me about it! It's also like a another cheap way to get people's emotions going. The third reason I hate it is because it gets stuck in your head like crazy. I haven't even heard it once this Christmas season and I've had it in my head like every other day.

Now that I've spread my Christmas cheer...what's your most loathed Christmas song?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about any Christmas song ruined by a pop singer? Take your pick...Simpson, Aguilera, Spears (and I don't mean Marge, Rick, or Chad).

Oh, and I'm now in the lead for having the most 1st comments. Eat!

Shiromi ~* said...

It's really nice. I mean, you've written a short, simle note about this song I've never even heard but somehow, the way it's written is just perfect.
And in a weird way, I can connect to what you're saying.
Merry Christmas.
Ps. The song I hate is : All I want for Christmas is you.

Kent said...

Most hated Christmas songs:
1. Silent Night (overplayed and repetitive)
2. Carol of the Bells (same reasons as "Silent Night"
3. Jingle Bells (gets stuck in your head)

And what's the deal for you not leaving comments on our blog anymore? You're a comment hog. Always take but never share.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Who the heck is shiromi? And Kent, you know I could care less about sports stuff, so why would I leave a comment about that.

Tracie said...

Man, I must be sappy or something because I like "Christmas Shoes." It makes me cry. I also like "Silent Night," even though it does get overplayed sometimes. I don't know what Christmas song I hate. I'd have to think about it. I don't like Hilary Duff's "Last Christmas." Too pop-y. I think "Silver Bells" is a little too slow. I don't like "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" cuz it's just stupid.

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

1. I'm happy to hear you listen to THE END. I'm a faithful follower.
2. I love the book and movie Charly.
3. I can't remember what song that is but I'm sure if I hear it I'll hate it...it just sounds stupid. So i'm with ya on that. :)

peace out.

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

OH. P.S My favorite Christmas song right now is "Do they know its Christmas" by all the 80s artists for Band Aid. Anyone remember this! I love it...Bono, Sting, Paul McCartney, Banarama...and let's not forgte David Bowe.

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day, you gave it away. . . . I am sorry Heidi- but that monstrosity TOTALLY tops the sweet little ditty that is "Christmas Shoes". I agree about it being all sappy and crap- but there are much, much worse things to listen to. Ross hates Carol of the Bells this year because all he can hear is "Gettagettagettagetta Garmin." Stupid consumerism ruining beautiful music!!

Sunnie said...

i couldn't agree with you more. i find a few of the songs they play on the radio annoying. (like that one that goes "last christmas i gave you my heart but the very next day you gave it away"- so dumb). anyways, and the movie "charlie"- so horribly sad. it is no good.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've got the answer, so the rest of you can just stop posting. The worst Christmas song of all time is "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul McCartney. There is no debate about this. Paul McCartney has written many very nice songs, but unfortunately he's also written the worst Christmas song, and it's in the running for worst song ever.