Today was just...insane. After a rough night of Will waking up and going back to sleep and me having weird dreams due to watching The Dark Knight and afraid that Will was going to make me get up again, I started my day out at about 7. No wait, I started it out at like 8:30 really because I have this morning ritual since my son and I disagree about what time is good to get up. Will wakes up and fusses or plays or something for as long as I can manage to get away with staying in bed. Then I begrudgingly get up, regretful for staying up too late AGAIN (every night actually) and I quietly retrieve him from the crib, change his diaper, and then plop him on the living room floor with the toys. I fish out the official brown fuzzy "living room blanket" and snuggle up on the couch for another hour of bad sleep. Will is usually pretty good about entertaining himself and sometimes I let him watch the weirdest kids' show next to Yo Gabba Gabba ("I wanna go to the party in your tummy!") called Crazy Town or something. After I finally decide to wake up, I feed Will some cereal and then put him to bed for his morning nap.
Anyway, that was this morning, followed by me doing random activities until about 1 pm, when I had to start getting ready for the afternoon errands: 1) go to post office to mail packages to David and Rachel and 2) take Will to his first ever dentist appointment. More on that later. Well, Aaron had come home from school during lunch to leave the car with me so I could do said errands and then caught a ride back to school. So as I go to load up the car, I discover that there are no car keys to be found! I know for a fact that I had hung up my keys by the entryway so I thought maybe Aaron had taken them and now had both sets of keys. So I texted him at school, called him twice, no reply. I thought about who I could possibly turn to for a ride, as they needed to possess a car seat as well. Finally I thought of a girl in my ward, Chelsi. She'd just had a baby so I knew she'd probably be home and not going anywhere. Fortunately she WAS home and had a car seat for me as well as a car. The only problem was that the car seat was set for her tiny little newborn baby and Will is NOT so tiny anymore, so even as much as we pulled out the straps, they weren't long enough. Fortunately she also had a front-facing car seat for her older son so I just put Will in there. Yes, I am aware that it's not safe to have your kid under a year and facing forward, but I figured it was safer in there than in the rear-facing seat and not buckled in at all.
We drive to Aaron's school and go inside, hoping that Aaron will finally respond to a text, and he does. So we get my keys back from him, take the car back to Chelsi, get into our car, and go BACK to Aaron's school for the dentist appointment. Whew. After filling out a bunch of paperwork, our student doc named Lauren came and got us, and she was awesome. She checked out Will's two little teethies and gave him a toothbrush and a finger puppet and he was admired all around. The trip made me excited for when Aaron can be our dentist. She also told me how much more laid-back the third year of dental school is, and there's virtually no homework and a lot more down time. Plus you are in the clinic almost the whole time so it's basically like being a dentist already. But then she told me the fourth year there will be rotations (which I knew about) but she said they go for 6 weeks (which I didn't know) and it's possible that he would have to be in another state for 6 weeks...sheesh. I hope that doesn't happen. But there are a bunch of rotations in the Phoenix area as well as in Utah. And you can apparently set up your own private rotation wherever you want. So lots to look forward to.
After the dentist, we loaded back up to go to the post office, which in retrospect, I am so happy that we did afterwards. Because the line was ginormous...there were probably 25 people in front of me. I stood in line for an hour before I finally got to the front. I don't know, maybe some of you people have me beat but lets remember I was toting along an increasingly hungry+tired=whiny little boy and I was tired and hungry myself. Overall, it was a pretty tiring day, complete with headache.
5 comments:
I love your morning routine. Live it up while you can. I always liked going to Adam's school with the kids because all the other childless students loved them.
There's this little post office tucked away in a Hallmark store near us that not many people seem to know about. The line was long this week, though, but the people there are in WAY better moods. Plus you can look at the cool little Christmas ornaments or whatever in the Hallmark shop while you wait. I wonder if there's one of those where you live.
I hate the post office for that very reason. Plus we have a real witchy lady at ours here, so out of character for TX. I try going to the ship/copy/mail places who WANT your business and the only time I go postal now is at night and use the self-serve.
BTW I think the weird show might be LazyTown? mix of people and claymation? The girls love it.
I went to the post office the day before we left and got a number: 171. Then I looked up: they were on number 125. But at least they have a numbering system. Standing in line is awful. So I sat on the floor in the corner playing my PSP for 45 minutes until they called my number.
I'm saying this to tell you that you have me beat. You had to stand in line with a kid, and for 15 minutes more than me.
Also, thanks again for the awesome Christmas presents. We have a lot of art we need to hang up around the house.
Post a Comment