Thursday, June 4, 2009

Anxieties

Dear Son,
What is up with your sleep schedule? I try my hardest to put you down at the same time each day, but you insist on maintaining a completely unpredictable schedule, and giving me a headache trying to work with it. One day you will get up at 4 am, the next sleep in until 9. It's giving me anxiety and I have been sleeping poorly myself. I know you're still a baby, but try and figure something out soon. Please?

Will's defense: vfgvvfs v vvvbbv (his words, not mine.)

That being said, I have to say that I'm glad I'm not my sister this week. Her two youngest boys just have a knack for trouble, and definitely gives me something to be thankful for. But the thought of handling more children in the future really makes me stressed out, knowing how hard Will can be by himself. My only hope is that they will entertain each other.

Will's crazy sleep schedule (I think) is due to his insane clinginess. Sometimes it's cute how excited he gets to see me, how he wants me to hold him. And I have to say, I am enjoying how he actually lets me hold him for awhile now, especially if I'm reading books to him. But the downside is that he hates missing out on any fun, making going to bed difficult and naptime all messed up. And he whines a lot when I can't hold him, because Heaven forbid I make dinner!

We've been looking forward to June, the end of Aaron's school year and beginning of vacation. But it's not quite turning out the way I envisioned. His school has insisted on dragging out the school year, turning what could have been a week of 8-hour days to 4 weeks of partial days, on and off, here and there. It's aggravating Aaron, who keeps trying to study for the board exam, but keeps having to finish up little assignments. Finally we are at the end of it...he only has 2 days left.

And so begins summer #2 of a Major Test. For those of you who have never had to take a Major Test or be married to someone who has, you should count your blessings. I don't think it matters how laid-back you or your spouse is, a Major Test is alway stressful. Hours of studying papers and books, worrying about not being ready in time, worrying about how the test will go, explaining to everyone why we can't do this or that, the list goes on. Fortunately I have dealt with this before and know what to expect. I also don't have a job this summer so I plan on making the most of having the car at my disposal.

Thanks for everyone's budgeting/cheap date ideas. It was interesting to hear about and I will have to incorporate some of it into my life.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Sleep schedules are hard. On our third baby we finally decided he finally had to just cry it out until we were ready to get him. We never would have done that with our first.

I hate big tests. Both Kai and I have had to take them in our married life. They are way stressful!

Lastly, Kai and I have avoided restaurants for years at all costs. We do not like to take our kids to them and therefore rarely go. Our cheap dates usually consist of going to the dollar theater. We don't actually go out much at all so we wouldn't be a couple to look to for dating trips:) Our best idea for a date is a bowl of ice cream and a flick from red box:)

JoEllen said...

I'm famous! Er, the boys are. They continued their adventures today.

We went to a party tonight and there were chocolate fountains, which reminds everybody of you of course. And colors us (but especially Matthew)in all shades of chocolate because it's so messy. Felicity told me a few days ago, "I want to have a chocolate fountain like Aunt Heidi did at her wedding. Not just to copy, but because it's yummy."

Leah Ferguson said...

I can relate to this, well sort of. Alex had this problem when he was younger and I decided to nip it in the butt then! Now we almost never have an issue, you just gotta let him stay in there. Put him down awake, and tuck him in and walk out. Alex's knows when it's coming and he just plays until he falls out. No sleep=Cranky Mom. I don't sleep well regardless of how Alex sleeps.

Clinginess is sweet sometimes and I love it but other days I feel like I'm trapped. Especially when I have to go out for a shoot. I have to sneak out. I don't know what I'll do when we get a nanny part time. =[

Although summer will be full of studying maybe you can enjoy family and friends! And a get-away from the heat!

Christina said...

Good luck with Major Test 2. We just got done with the last Major Test (hopefully!) and now have to wait for a result.

Kent said...

Not sure what to say here, as I can't really relate on either of your 2 topics (child sleeping and Major Test taking), but I wanted to get credit for a comment.

mandy said...

I'm a big fan of the crying it out method and my kids are all excellent sleepers. It is hard, especially when you are living in an apartment and so close to the crying all of the time but I really think it helps them to learn to go back to sleep on their own. If he wakes up at 4 am I would go in and tell him that it is nighttime and then let him cry himself back to sleep until a decent hour (6?).

Good luck (to both of you) on the big tests!

Brian said...

Can't argue with Will's D. I mean I would have said the same thing. Now that is profound.

Paula said...

Here's an idea: melatonin. Mindy was the world's worst sleeper and you would think by child #8 that we would have this figured out. But she was 4! and still sleeping badly. So I told the pediatrician and he suggested the melatonin which has worked like a charm--we grind up half a pill in her applesauce every night. Will is probably a little young for it though--you could ask your doctor about it and see what he says. It probably would help too to wake him up at the same time every day no matter what and make him stay in bed if he wakes up before that.