Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Last Day as a Young'in

And what better way to celebrate by blogging? Today is my last day as a 24-year-old. Tomorrow I will enter the world of Old Fogies--no offense all you Oldies. I think I really started feeling the oldness when my oldest nephew entered the MTC for his mission. But I guess it's okay that I'm getting older, since I feel like I have accomplished a lot so far. Here is short list of my accomplishments:
  • Became potty trained
  • Learned to read and write
  • Learned to play piano, violin, viola, organ, guitar, and voice
  • Graduated high school
  • Finished my YW personal progress
  • Got married in the temple
  • Graduated college with BA
  • Had a bouncing baby boy
  • Supported a husband through Year 1 of dental school (now THAT is an accomplishment!)

So it doesn't sound all that great, listed out like that. Many people have accomplished similarly. But nevertheless, those are some of my achievements, gimme a pat on the back and move on.

Something that has been interesting to me about Growing Up is accepting the changes that come and the things you have to leave behind. For example, I really enjoyed having male friends growing up; seeing as I have 7 brothers, I just got along well with boys. But that's kind of a No-No (as it is known in our house now) once you are married. I mean, general vague pleasantries are okay once in awhile, but staying friends in the realm of phone calls, texts, messages, is kind of just...weird. And usually makes the spouse uncomfortable. So I have slowly accepted that that is something I will never be able to have again, but I have embraced the friendships of the women, particularly the other mothers, that I meet.

So I have made my peace with turning 25.

{Update on Will: Will has been angelic this week. He has left crabby, non-sleeping phase and entered happy and sleeping phase. And I am loving every minute of it. He is also so much more independent now, walking around, getting his own food, entertaining himself. He seems to be learning new words every day, words that I didn't teach him! He is walking around the house saying "honey" which I think he heard a lot from Marrie. And "hee hee! ho ho!" (okay, he did learn that from me.) And the sleeping is great! He sleeps in until practically 10 everyday and then takes a 3 hour nap two hours later. I know this phase will not last long, so I am milking it for all its worth.}

8 comments:

Grant and Stacy said...

Happy Birthday tomorrow! Enjoy this last day of 24. I still think I'm 25. Everytime someone tells me they are 25 I think, "Oh, we're the same age!" Chay, right. Add 5 more years. Ouch. Anyway, hope you have a great birthday. And you HAVE accomplished a lot. Way to go! That list of instruments is impressive!

Tracie said...

Welcome to the club! This is the first year that I've felt like I'm getting all old and grown up. (Having a baby has really helped as well.)

I'd say that's a pretty good list of accomplishments.

Amy said...

Happy birthday and welcome to the over-the-hill club. 25 was not hard for me one tiny bit, but 30 . . . that is another story.

That is quite a list of accomplishments. I'll make sure to pat you on the back next time I see you:)

Sunnie said...

25 felt old for me too. i remember thinking it is halfway to 50- wow. old. but now i'm 28- yuck that is almost 30! but happy b-day- hope you do something fun!

mandy said...

Pat, pat, pat. You've done great things and are destined to do much more, even if you are really, super old now. (I'm allowed to say that because I am an ancient 32.) Happy Birthday!!

Lechelle said...

Happy Birthday Heidi!!!
(Nice list.)

Alice H said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I totally related to this post because I've felt that way every birthday since I turned 18. Can't wait for your birthday post!

Kent said...

I know I missed your b-day, but I was stuck at Youth Conference all day Friday thinking of ways to try and get out of it.

Anyway, happy b-day and junk, welcome to the Foge Club.