Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Nerdy Affliction

This is me this week:
Seriously I have never sneezed so much in my life as I have this past week. I am an allergies person. I'm no Walter on Sleepless in Seattle, but this week I would have probably arm wrestled him for a box of kleenex. My allergies first reared their ugly face when I was about 15. I remember one beautiful spring morning (remember those days in Utah, back when there actually was a spring?) walking outside to climb into our GMC Safari minivan to go driving with my dad and realizing that I could not open my eyes! They hurt so bad to open in the bright sunlight, and were watering like crazy.
I thought for a long time it was the contacts, but as my allergies progressed to worsen as I got older, I learned the truth. And now I faithfully get hay fever every beginning of spring and fall. This year I was lucky and skipped the fall fever, so I thought I was free and clear in Arizona. But apparently my allergies slept in late and gave me the fever twice as bad when they woke up. It started last week, and since my friends were visiting, they had the lovely pleasure of seeing me sneezing all over the place (well-contained, I'm not gross you know.) But after each of my sneezes Austin would say "gesundheit!" or "bless you!" or "Salut!" and after about the fourth sneeze in a row I said, "Forget it Austin, you'll be blessing me all day." I think one blessing should cover all recurring sneezes.
So hay fever comes with horrific itchy eyes and nose, sneezing and constant nose blowing, congestion, fatigue, headache, etc. And I have had all of those things. But I found a pretty good medication ritual: take a daily clariten (don't fork out the big bucks, it's just generic loratadine) each morning as well as a few green tea vitamin supplements. The green tea is supposedly full of antioxidants which helps to clear out the allergens in your body. And I actually noticed a pretty big difference when I was only taking the clariten versus taking both clariten and the green tea. You can also use nasal sprays but I was too cheap to buy yet another one so I just used a saline one that worked pretty well. And there you have it: all you never wanted to know about my allergies.

11 comments:

Grant and Stacy said...

Allergies stink! Sorry you have to deal with it. I trained a sister on the mission that would spend the whole discussion sneezing and rubbing her eyes. She couldn't understand a word, so they were extremely boring an painful for her. But right in the middle of the discussion, when the spirit was really strong, the investigator would start asking how she was doing. I felt bad for her, but worse for my lesson. Then I started getting allergies after my 1st child was born. Then I REALLY felt sorry for her.

Liesl said...

The other day, Mom was about to sneeze when I said, "Bless you, Mom!" And inadvertently ruined the sneeze. She was very annoyed. Mission accomplished.

Brian said...

I've never once sneezed.

mandy said...

Bless you! I am a stubborn denier of allergies. Adam always tries to diagnose my (coincidentally seasonal) sniffling and sneezing as allergies but I refuse to believe it is anything more than a cold. Hope you feel better soon!

Tay said...

When i was in AZ, I'd get allergies whenever it was that time of the year for orange blossoms. In fact, I never knew what they smelled like until I rode "Soarin' Over California" and they sprayed the scent as we soared over orange groves. For serious. And then I was sad for all of those years I missed smelling it. Up in Utah, Im allergic to those monstrous pollenating trees that people seem to plant everywhere. Oh, I forgot to mention that our house was about 200 feet away from a commercial orange grove. Go figure.

BrItTneEanN said...

Lets just say I am so glad I don't have allergies, I do have a little. However, I would hate to be in your shoes!

Amy said...

Sorry about your allergies, I have been thinking that my kids are sick, but I think it's really allergies-yuck!

Glad you had fun in Vegas . . . I haven't been in some of the hotels. Next time you'll have to do Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay, Will will love it!

Hope your writing is going well . . .:)
Lots of love!

JoEllen said...

Our Stake prez. told Mark that green tea is against the WoW so the vitamins that have that extract in it, he refused to take. I had to give them to our neighbor who doesn't follow Jesus. Glad they have a medicinal quality for you though. Since that's kinda the point of drugs.

JoEllen said...

Just so ya know, I don't think you're "breaking" the WoW. Even if my Stake Prez is right, you're using it for medical reasons, which completely changes things. I deleted your comment off my FB wall though b/c those neighbors FB constantly on their iphones and always seem to know my status/postings.

Kent said...

Bostonians have the knack of blessing any stranger who sneezes. I'll sneeze on the train and hear somebody 10 feet away say "Bless you." I say you should only need to bless people you know. What if those people don't need the blessings? What if they don't deserve the blessings? And who are you to say you've got all these blessings to give?

Katie Torriente: said...

sounds like fun, ha! Sorry about all the sneezing, that sucks. I'll have to try that green tea trick!