Ok, so I've become a little obsessed with blogging, but I really like it when people leave me comments and besides, it's a great way to journal everything that's happening in our lives these days! So I know that Halloween is the next holiday coming up but since I was excited for that back in July, it's high time for me to move on to the next holiday: Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a newly-appreciated holiday for me. When I was a little kid, I liked it because we had no school and I got to run around with my cousins and watch fun Christmas movies like "Home Alone" (an instant classic). However, once I became a teenager, I began to dread Thanksgiving because all I cared about was hanging out with my friends, who of course I couldn't see on Thanksgiving because they were with their families (jerks) and my family spent the whole time watching football which I couldn't care less for. So I would sleep in, lounge around, eat the big feast, then go kill about 4 hours in my bedroom taking a nap and listening to music until the family went to the annual Thanksgiving movie. But NOW...I love Thanksgiving because it is a MUCH appreciated break from school where we get to eat and hang out with our families. Also, since I have become very interested in the culinary arts, I am excited to start learning how to make Thanksgiving foods. In fact, this year, about two weeks before Thanksgiving, my friends and I are having a mock Thanksgiving dinner and I'm making the turkey! Any suggestions? I want to cook it in a bag so it's really moist. Ok, so now here are some things I found on Martha Stewart.com that are some fun suggestions for Thanksgiving.

For this beautiful centerpiece, take mini pumpkins and hollow out the centers to make a candleholder. (Oh I'm so craftsy!)

And here's the floral design idea of the month: take your unused (or heck, even used but that might be gross by then) pumpkins from October and hollow them out. Place a plastic liner or something on the inside and put well-soaked floral foam in it (I have TONS) Then you can make a pretty fall centerpiece using fall leaves, hypericum berries, and fall colored flowers. The ones featured here are dahlias, hypericum berries, and an artichoke. And filler of course, buplerum I think.

I am in love with floral spray! You have to be careful when actually spraying real flowers (don't get too close and don't do a direct stream of spray on the flower or else you'll kill it) but on these cute pumpkins you can purchase gold (or whatever color you want) floral spray and make some cool decorations. Also, if you want, you can paint the pumpkins with glue and then put colored glitter all over them. They keep for several months.

Here is a shot of a pumpkin floral arrangement with sprayed gold Chinese lantern flowers. I love Chinese lanterns for fall, although I've never actually arranged with real ones, I am using fake ones for my upcoming wedding and they're a great accent.

Hope you enjoyed your time with Arts and Crafts With Heidi! Be sure to watch for more upcoming posts on great holiday ideas!
6 comments:
Look at you little miss Martha. Great crafty ideas! I wish i had some time to be crafty and fun... How is the little baby coming along?
I love that you are obsessed with blogging. It gives me something to read when I check your blog 49 times a day! :) (Craig can attest to the fact that that is no exaggeration.)
Kent is now obsessed with blogging, and I've always been a blog-stalker...much like Holly's confession...
P.S. I love Martha Stewart. Well, maybe not the woman herself...I mean I don't even know her! But I even subscribed to her Living magazine which had a fabulous Fall issue and all those cute ideas and recipes...Kent is laughing at me...
Wow I should confess that I also check your blog a lot too. I'm glad I have family support on that! Kurt won't let us get a blog....yet. haha.
These are some great ideas! I really want to try the center pieces. :) Please keep up on "Arts and Crafts Time!" I love it! How about a weekly addition to your blog! Wahoo!
I stopped paying attention after the first paragraph. Crafts are boring. And all you blog-stalkers need to stop mooching off of others and create (or update) yer own durned blogs!
Post a Comment