Will Willy Willbear Bill Billy BillyBuddy Buddy Little Buddy Little Bear Buddy Buddy Little Bill Little B Beebee Beebs Baby Beebee Beeble

One year ago I got up at 4:00 am. I took a shower and did my hair and patted my gigantic belly. I gathered up my bags and Aaron and I drove in the very cold and dark April morning to the hospital. We took the elevator to Labor and Delivery and walked into a quiet and empty hospital to check in. I was hungry, cold, tired, nervous, and excited. The nurse showed me to my room where I undressed, recalling the drill the week previous...

I had lain in the hospital bed where the nurse injected me with an anti-contraction drug and messed up my IV so many times it left a bruise. My kind OB-gyn came in, and after they had set up the ultrasound machine, he began the External Cephalic Version. He grabbed Will, who lay curled tightly in my body, the wrong way. He pushed on the giant lump and the pressure was intense and I squeezed Aaron's hand to a pulp. Will, being the stubborn boy he is, would not move. The doctor tried again. And again. And one more time. By this time I was in tears, the pain and stress so intense. After failing to turn him, the doctor recommended that we schedule the caesarean the next week.

As I lay peacefully and cold in the hospital bed, chatting with Aaron, the excitement of the unknown experience was deep in the pit of my stomach. The nurse came in to prep me, followed by the anesthesiologist. The epidural was unlike anything I'd ever felt, and it wasn't very pleasant. Most women love the relief that the epidural brings, comforting them from the intense contractions. But I was not in labor and therefore only felt the pain of my body slowly going numb, all the while the blood pressure cuff milking my arm. My emotions came over me and I thought, "I don't think I want to do this anymore." and my heart sank a little at the thought that there was no other way out of the situation.



They wheeled my bed into surgery. A very strange sensation, lying flat on my back, yet moving. They lifted my numb body onto the operating table and strapped my arms down away from my body. The nurses and doctors came in, prepped and ready to go, but my mind was getting foggy. I was numb and couldn't sit up to see what what going on. Aaron was behind me, talking to them and getting dressed for the procedure. And before I knew it, they were cutting into me. But then I did know it, I felt it. "I can feel it," I mumbled to Aaron, and he informed the doctors, who adjusted the epidural.

The next thing I knew, Aaron was telling me, "You have a son!" and the nurse was cleaning my new baby off and asking Aaron what we had decided to name him. "William Aaron," Aaron said. Meanwhile the doctors were stitching me up. As I grew more and more coherent, they told me that Will had to go to the NICU since he was having some trouble getting enough oxygen and Aaron had gone with him. They said they would wheel me up there to see him. I was getting more used to being wheeled around in a bed, and soon I was looking upon this little baby who was wailing as a nurse and Aaron fussed around him, trying to help him out. I wasn't quite sure what was going on. Was this really my son?


A year later, I can hardly believe I am the mother of this 25 pound boy who has such a personality, a stubborn, independent, and passionate personality. But yet I can hardly imagine my former life before him. He can drive me crazy at times but yet make me so happy, a joy that is really indescribable. So maybe I have a million nicknames for him, but no matter what I call him, he will always be my little baby boy. Happy Birthday Will! We love you!
15 comments:
Man, he sure is CUTE. I confess, your story made me not want to have babies ever. Maybe in 10 years I'll change my mind.
What a great tribute to your adorable son!
i don;t think i have ever heard that story about will's birth! man, what a process! i am hoping that when i finally have kids, doctors have come up with a new procedure... that is what i am hoping for.
Kinda makes me want to cry. It just means I have to let go of MY baby, you know? Happy Birthday little big guy!
It was fun to hear about his birth--happy birthday, Will!
Your scrapbook pages are lovely, and this was such a sweet post.
What a sweet tribute to your baby boy. You captured the feelings of a first time mother-to-be so well. Aren't babies truly a miracle. Will is such a sweetie! One already! amazing!
Your post about geese was funny. I am not afraid of deer or polar bear, but I am deeply afraid of Geese. Even as an adult I have been chased by them. In fact as a pregnant adult I was chased by one, I'll bet that was a sight for all to see.
I hope Will's birthday was healthy and happy!
Yay! Happy Birthday, Will! I can't believe it has already been a year!! I LOVE all you're scrapbook pages! Very cute and creative :D
This was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your experience.
You have a good guilt-inducing labor story for Will in the future. Happy Birthday. Will!
Happy Birthday Will! I wish I were there to celebrate.
Who is this William Aaron fellow everybody keeps talking about?
I can't believe it has bee a year! today we were in the car trying to figure out how old he is.
We miss you guys!
love the story and love all the scrapbook pages. i love hearing birth-day stories. there is just something so special about that day.
Your scrap pages are really cute. I can't believe he's one already. He's grown so much. He used to be this small little thing and now he's this big crawling boy.
Post a Comment