Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Twists & Turns

I don't have any pictures this time because you usually don't take pictures of the emergency room at 3 am, the urgent care center, or me sleeping in until 9 am. All things that have happened this week, and yes it's only Tuesday.

I started out this week with big plans: working out every day, cake class, recipe group, bunco at Trisha's, etc. Then I went to bed on Sunday night, and woke up writhing in pain at 2:30 am. This had happened once before in December and the pain only got worse until I finally took a lortab and it faded a little, leaving me weakened for the next couple of days. So I knew this time that since I didn't have a lortab, there was no way I would be able to endure the pain. So we made a trip to the ER, which by the way wasn't nearly as exciting as on TV. No gunshot wounds or doctors rushing around pushing people on gurneys. It was mostly old people. One lady started shouted at a nurse at one point because she needed a ride home, but she was a little crazy I think.

As we sat there and waited, the pain started to fade since I had taken several ibuprofens, and I was feeling a little silly that we'd gone to the emergency room. Since we had Will and it was the middle of the night, we opted to just go home and I'd go to the urgent care in the morning. Which I did, and after waiting two and a half hours in a freezing cold waiting room, I finally saw the doctor for probably 5 minutes. He determined that I needed a certain test done (I'm staying vague here on purpose if you couldn't tell) and that procedure would be the next day at a different medical center. So I went and picked up Will from Kristina's house and we came home put him right to bed since he was ready to crash, as were we. It had been an exhausting day, especially for not getting a full night's sleep. I skipped out on my cake class since I could make it up next month and still felt weak and in a little pain.

So today I got ready for my test and I had to drink a ton of water for it. I drank all my water and dropped Will off at Tiffany's and drove all the way to the medical center when they called me and said, "Sorry but we can't do the test because our machine's broken and we'll call you when it's fixed." At this point I had to go to the bathroom really bad, since I'd just downed 40 ounces of water in about 20 minutes. So I raced back to Tiffany's and ran in and used her bathroom, saying, "I'll explain in a second but I need to use your bathroom!"

So I hung out with Tiffany until the place called me back, but they never did. Which frustrated me because I was supposed to report back to the urgent care doctor the next day. So this medical situation was just DRAGGING on and on. I am not a fan of waiting forever at the doctor's office, especially when I always have to work out the car situation with Aaron and find a babysitter with Will. Not to mention that I'm feeling pretty much normal now. But seeing as this has happened before, Aaron wanted me to get it checked out. So I still have two more trips to doctors this week...sigh.

The plus was that Will has been so worn out from all of the madness that he's been sleeping in, which has been very much appreciated by me.

11 comments:

Kirstie said...

how awful!! sad no drama happened in the er, tv makes it seem so exciting that secretly i have always wanted to go check it out!! i hope everything is alright and your tests and doctors appointments go well!!

Lechelle said...

That really sucks! I'm glad you are feeling better though. I hope they figure out what is going on! I hate not knowing exactly what it is when something is wrong with me.
Good luck!

Grant and Stacy said...

Wow, 40 oz of water! Does that double your water intake for the week? =-) I hope the doctors are able to cure you. Good luck!

Kent said...

Just wait until socialized medicine! Waiting 2.5 hours for a doctor will be a DREAM. Now I just sound like Dad. Dagnabbit!

mandy said...

Ugh. I am so sorry. What a crappy way to start your week. Vague is not my favorite so if you feel like spilling all the gory details email me!

BrItTneEanN said...

Make sure you post what you have or least email it too me if you don't want to announce it, I'm anxious to know-I hope your okay.!

Sunnie said...

horrible for you! mom's can't get sick- we have too much to do. and it's so hard to find people to watch kids over and over again. i feel for you!

Katie said...

Not a great week to start off the week! I hate waiting at the doctors too. I had my annual today and had to wait 45 mins to see the nurse practiconer because pregnant lady after pregnant lady kept coming in!!

kurt said...

Did you try putting Vicks on it? It seems to help me.

Pete said...

What an adventure. It just proves again my rule that you should never see a doctor unless you feel you about to die (which may have qualified you in this case).

JoEllen said...

Hmm, sounds like big events are up ahead? You've definitely piqued my curiosity.