Last week I could have written a blog post every single day because it was unusually eventful. I live a pretty low-key life and have fairly quiet weeks, which is how I like them most of the time. But after the busy day of visiting the doctor and running all over town trying to track down Will's perscriptions, Aaron got violently ill the next day. Not sure what happened, but about 11:30 at night, I find my husband in the bedroom cleaning up vomit on the floor. Sure, not your favorite visual, but when he turned around and looked at me, it was even worse. His eyes were completely swollen and puffy and speckled with red spots. We debated taking him to the hospital since this was completely out of the ordinary and the spots were a little unnerving. But since Will was sleeping sounding and Aaron started rapidly feeling better we decided against it.
The next day was Friday, my Day of Baking. I was planning on making six pizzas, two cakes, and 24 cupcakes for Will's birthday party. Since my cake was to be covered in fondant and homemade buttercream icing, I needed all the time I could get. Just as I was about to begin, my friend called me from the hospital. She was in a serious condition, having discovered a giant blood clot in her lung, and wanted me to get some men to give her a blessing. So after scrambling around, I got a hold of the missionaries and a car (since Aaron had ours) and we drove to the hospital to give her a blessing. And now she is doing better, thank goodness. Aaron went to the doctor and they took a few tests. They aren't sure what happened, but obviously he ate something toxic or poisonous and his body immediately rejected it. So. The spots are starting to fade though.
I live in a state that has approximately 320 sunny days a year. You'd think that after about 2 straight months of beautiful sunny weather, the day that I need to be sunny would be SUNNY! I woke up to rain. Of course. So we went over to Kristina's house, who was hosting our party. Let me say, this was a great way to do a party. One person is in charge of getting their house ready for the party while the other person is in charge of getting the food and decorations. Way less stressful. Plus I live in a small apartment and she has a house. And fortunately she had prepared her house so that it would be okay to do it inside. So we decorated and baked the pizzas and Tiffany got the helium balloons.
Here is the video of him destroying his first birthday cake. We stripped down the babies so they could go crazy with the cake, which Will did. I don't think he understands the concept of dirty vs. clean. It's kind of long so I won't be offended if you skip it.
The rest of the day was chill...we cleaned up and went home and relaxed while Will took a long nap. We had Will's birthday dinner at CPK and then opened presents. Thanks to everyone who sent him presents and/or birthday wishes! We didn't actually buy him anything for his birthday since we have a bunch of toys already. I made him a couple of things however.
Fortunately, thanks to Zicam and a good night's rest, I felt much better by Monday, which was good because I had to do a lot of cake stuff for my class that night. I spent a good chunk of the day making frostings and the cake, but still had time to start another project I had been meaning to begin. My class was really fun, although I wasn't as prepared as I should have been, and ended up being the last person to leave. I gave my cake to a lady in my ward whose twins are turning 11 today. I didn't think they would love the rainbow cake, but we had to do that certain pattern, so I tried to make it boy colors at least. They didn't seem to mind though.
And NOW I'm caught up! Sheesh.
15 comments:
Good lookin cakes. you have always been so creative. I could never do that.
love all the b-day pics! way to go on the cake. and six pizzas- wow you were busy. i'm sorry about all the sicknesses. that is no fun!
That's cool you're able to get so much stuff done. Usually when I finish a project I call it a day. But there's no reason I shouldn't just go to the next project, like you.
That was a great birthday theme! I'm so excited that Charlie was born in October cause it means Halloween birthdays. Every year. haha. But I'm really serious. And those cakes were awesome.
Such a cute party. You did a great job. I love the frog cake and the invitation. Adorable. I thought it was hilarious how Will tore into his cake and his "princess" was so dainty with hers.
That red speckled eyeshadow doesn't look very good on Aaron. I'm glad to see his head is back in the right place, so he won't wear that stuff anymore.
wow! what a post!!!
I love the princess and the frog theme . . .absolutley adore the cakes and the hooded frog towel! You are very creative! I totally want to make a board book like that, how did you do it???
Aaron's eyes are freaky . . .what a horrible sickness. I wonder what was wrong. . .
I am sending you healthy wishes for the reset of the week . . .
Way to go on the cakes! Those are awesome!!! I think you need to go into the baking business.
It looks like you went all out! I especially liked the board book idea.
Heidi,
What a cute party, you are full of such cute ideas!
That's one monster post. Videos, pictures, commentary, trips to the hospital, trips to birthday parties. Wow.
I'm glad Aaron is feeling better. Those spots were the creepiest thing I've seen. It does look like some sort of allergic reaction.
I loved the Princess & the Frog theme. Very cute. Your cake turned out awesome! You've definitely come a long way in the cake making arena. (Remember the cake you and Jessi made for Lara?)
I loved the board book idea. Very cute and something that he can always keep (rather than toys he'll outgrow). How did you get it printed?
those are the cutest birthday pictures and you are the best cake maker!! my next birthday i know who to call!!
Your cakes turned out really cute! Did you like working with MMF?
Your frog and rainbow look awesome! I look the Wilton class one also. I wanted to do the rainbow, but our teacher said we wouldn't have enough time. I promised myself I would try it on my own, but that has yet to happen. Was it hard? Did it take forever? I think I'll eventually take the other classes, but not right now.
Post a Comment