One thing I did was a Veggie Challenge. I am usually very responsible about planning out each week's meals before going to the grocery store so I can make sure to get everything I need for each other those meals. But sometimes it just gets hard to think of meals to make, especially with a husband who is trying to eat 'pure,' meaning he just wants to eat mostly pure meat protein with fruits and vegetables. That leaves out a LOT of options and we are sick to death of chicken salad. Anyway, back to the veggie challenge. This was kind of a fun concept I came up with where you go to the farmer's market (aka Sprouts) and buy a bunch of produce, mostly vegetables, and find ways to use them up throughout the week. For my vegetables, I bought potatoes, yams, celery, eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, onions, and red, orange, and yellow peppers, and asparagus.
Monday I made a southwest chili soup, using carrots, corn, onions, tomatoes, beans.Tuesday I made grilled salmon with ratatouille that used eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, onions.
Wednesday I made baked potato soup with potatoes, onions, celery.
Thursday I made sirloin steak with asparagus and fruit smoothies.
As you can see I got progressively less creative throughout the week, but I am pretty strapped for new healthy options. If you have any good recipes, PLEASE email them to me. The only rule is that it has to be something Aaron would eat: basic vegs/fruits/proteins. Sigh. It's depressing for someone who enjoys cooking.
Now I just need to use up the rest of the asparagus, celery, yams, peppers....
10 comments:
Have you been to Superstition Ranch Market? You should. Amazing produce prices and totally worth whatever drive, at least once anyway. It's a fun place to visit and experience - old school place and whatnot.
Anyway, have you tried kabobs? those are always good.
For yams I like to cube them and toss them with chipolte tobasco sauce and then bake them in the oven. Yummy. I put celery in everything. If I am making a soup or a chili or a cock pot meal, they go in there. If you want mashed potatoes, use cauliflower. It does get hard to be creative. Is he eating grains? because that makes a big difference. Like making a crock pot meal over rice that is full of veggies. But good luck. Sorry this is choppy and bad spelling etc.
oh, and asparagus is good tossed in a little bit of olive salt, pepper, and ginger and then bake them.
I love zucchini bread! It's the only way I'll eat zucchini. Sorry, not much help!
I have one healthy recipe. You bake sweet potatoes and then top them with guacamole, black beans, salsa, and corn. See if that works for you. :)
I like your long posts, but since I was chatting w/ you and gave you my comments and q's online LIVE, I didn't post a comment.
I have a couple of healthy lots of veggies options- one being sweet potato fries (I mean yam fries). I cut them up in large chunks and put them in a big ziplock with a little oil and put em in the oven. Another option w/ the veggies is to chop em up in 1 inch chunks and roast them- after putting them in ziplock w/ minimal oil, and salt & peppering them. You roast them at 400 degrees for 30 min or so (I have a convection oven so it might be different for you). I boil orzo or rotini and then add a little something like balsalmic vinegar & olive oil, parm cheese, etc. You use a TON of veggies this way and it's so good.
I would love it if you came and cooked for us, those meals sound delicious. Will is so cute, it looks like he loves bath time. Sorry no suggestion, we just eat crap food around here.
I love chicken or steak fajitas with all kinds of peppers and avacados. The tortillas would break Aaron's rule, but he could just eat it like stir-fry Soups are also a great way to get new flavors from veggie combos- check out Allrecipes.com. Oh- one more. Lettuce wraps! Good luck- this sounds like a tricky challenge!
Will is so cute . . .
I don't know if this qualifes as "pure"
but we love sliced red, yellow and orange bell peppers sauted lightly in olive oil with slice red onions,
We cook chicken in the olive oil too, brown it and them mix it in with the vegies we do add Johnny's Seasoning salt and a little pepper.
One of our easy favs is chicken soft tacos in the crock pot. you throw in a few frozen chicken breast and just add whatever you want with some salsa, so peppers onions whatever and there you have it.
Post a Comment