Friday, February 8, 2008

No Mess, No Fess...

Well folks, it's time for Heidi's arts 'n' crafts! Today's episode: Digital Scrapbooking. It is my new love. I first started doing this last fall, when I created a book for my parent's 40th anniversary. I used the internet program "Heritage Makers" which is great, but I didn't like the fact that you had to pay a monthly fee to use the scrapbooking feature. I seem to go on scrapbooking spurts where I do a ton at a time but then don't do anything for a long time. So the monthly fee didn't really make sense for me. I do want to note that Heritage Makers is very easy to use and publish your books. Anyway, I discovered that there are free scrapbooking kits you can download that come with all the cutesy stuff like lettering and embellishments and whatnot. I first tried to use it with Heritage Makers, but soon found that just using them on Photoshop was much easier. So I am now in the process of making pages for my baby's first year. Here's what I've done so far...

Let me know what you think. Unless you think they're terrible, which is really, impossible. Anyway, I love digital scrapbooking so much better than regular scrapbooking because there is NO MESS, which was always so annoying. I hated having to get out all your stuff, cut up papers and whatnot to make a few pages, then have to clean up a gigantic mess just to make the same mess the next day. I also like it because I don't have to worry about having all the perfect papers and spend a fortune on them, and I don't have to waste money on stuff like fancy scissors or paper cutters (because I can't cut a straight line to save my life.) The other great thing is that Heritage Makers have an option where you can do an entire book in photoshop and still publish with them. Their books are a little expensive, but when you think about the fact that that's all you're paying for, instead of paying for developing photos, buying paper and stickers and stamps and etc, it really comes out to be the same. Also the books are so much thinner than those gigantic scrapbooks and if they get ruined, you can reprint it because everything you do is saved on the website. So there's my plug for digital scrapbooking. I hope you all will convert because it is so fun and a million jillion times easier than regular scrapbooking.

8 comments:

mandy said...

I am NOT a scrapbooker but I have really been considering getting into digital scrapbooking. My problem is figuring out how to get started! Several of my friends are HM reps but it seems pricey to me. I like the idea of free--what Photoshop program do you have and what sites do you use for your free stuff?

Janae said...

That sounds like a great idea. I am NOT a scrapbooker. Too much time involved. But this, I could do.

Driel said...

Adorable!! My favorite is the 20 weeks. I love the colors in that one. So much fun. I will have to try digital scrapbooking.

Also, you did a fabulous job on your lessons. Thank you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie Torriente: said...

So cute. I agree, scrapbooking is way too messy.

Allison said...

So cute Heidi! I wish I were creative enough to do digital scrapbooking - right now I'm wanting to want to try it :) We'll see if I actually get around to actually trying it! I love your pages though!

Michelle Williams said...

I love your pages! I am not a scrap booker or an artist and the computer has been my only outlet since the time I was a kid. I'm glad you've made it work for you too.

ps you look super cute as a pregnant lady!

pps i miss you! i don't know a lot of people here in boise so i love reading what you are up to

Jen Carpenter said...

Heidi!

I love your pages, just an FYI you can upload all your digital artwork into Heritage Makers now!!! Love your work! Good luck with baby!

Jen Carpenter!
Heritage Makers Director