Monday, February 25, 2008

Ode to Pregnancy

I can't bend over without angling my knees just right
and what's it like to be able to sleep through the night?
It's not fun to get tired after making the bed
And facing the climb up the hill brings me dread
Why do I get breathless just sitting on a chair
and even with my panting, just can't get enough air
And where on earth did all my ab muscles go
that pushing myself up seems like a joke
When I eat, I hate that I always feel sick
but at the same time get full way too quick
When can I just have my body be mine
or not want to laugh or cry all the time?
I forgot what it feels like to just simply run
or basically do ANYTHING that is fun
Why do my shoes always seem way too snug?
And when will I not be too big to give a hug?
I sleep with too many pillows but yet never enough,
And getting up from the couch is just a little too tough
My tummy is big, and my clothes are too small,
And why are maternity clothes so pricey at the mall?
I know that you're in there, you won't let me forget
And our bank account certainly won't forgive that debt
Only 50 more days until you're long overdue,
and I really can't wait for you to make your big debut
But until you come, I'll keep on complaining
and enduring my pregnancy-it's very good training.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Bravo to Heidi, the poet. I've never been pregnant, and I'm tired and achy just from reading that. But just as excited to meet my newest nephew!

Stephen said...

That poem is so amazingly insightful! Hang in there! :D

mandy said...

I'm impressed. Something for the baby book?? It's always good to have something to lord over them later.

Tracie said...

I liked that a lot. Don't worry. Your pregnancy will be over before you know it. And then you might just be wishing you could go back ;)

Janae said...

That was an awesome poem! It's all true. Then when the baby comes, your body never is yours again, especially if you're breastfeeding. What Tracie said is right on--it's hard, but you're probably getting more sleep now than you will when baby's born! Good luck this last bit.

Brian said...

Rhymes!

"go...joke..." Almost, sir...

Anonymous said...

Did you write that poem? You're pretty good. I had some time and got caught up on your blog. I think it took me over an hour, but I enjoyed the whole experience. You've definitely converted me to digital scrapbooking. So someday I'm going to do my kids' scrapbooks. Maybe when they go off to college.

Kent said...

You're a poet and you didn't realize it.

Natalie said...

i love it. you are so funny.