Monday, September 8, 2008

Big Willy's Little Issues

So I had a very fun 4-month trip to the doctor. Seeing as Will is turning 5 months this Thursday, he was a little late with this appointment. But it took forever to get our insurance going, but now we have it so hopefully no more worries about breaking my arm or something.

The day began when my alarm went off at 7:30 and I realized that Aaron was still in bed next to me when he should have been walking out the door at the moment to go to school! So of course everything was hectic as I jumped out of bed to hurry and shower so I could take him to school and then go straight to our 8:30 appointment. Well, we got out the door on time, but I didn't have time to change Will's diaper or clothes. So after driving around in circles, not being able to find the place, we finally get there and I realize Will is completely soaked through everything. So I had to change his diaper (which was a really gross one by the way) and then let him sit on my lap naked in the waiting room, since I'd also forgotten to bring an extra outfit.
After waiting for one lifetime, we finally got back to the TINY room and waited another lifetime. And of course Will was very cranky by this time. Finally the doctor came in, and she was pretty nice. She said Will was in the 90th percentile for height and weight. He weighed 17 pounds and 7 ounces and was 26 and a half inches tall. She said that his height was where most 6 month old babies are. So Will really has gotten huge! After the doctor left came the fun part of getting more shots. So Will was devastated by the time we finally got into the car and went home.

And by the way, he is so mobile these days that his naps, which used to be paradise, now really are just terrible. Yesterday was the worst and he ended up going to bed at like 6 because I just couldn't handle him anymore. He was so cranky and refused to sleep. I'd put him down on his belly but he'd just roll over and he won't go to sleep on his back. Any suggestions?? I don't know what to do. And also this lack of naps is affecting his eating too and now his whole schedule is completely thrown off.

But good news is that today he finally rolled over without being in his crib. He was playing on his floor mat and was on his tummy and then I later I saw him on his back. But then something unexpected happened as well. He was on his back and then later I saw him on his tummy! So I guess he's learned to roll over from back to tummy now as well. But that was probably a fluke, we'll just have to see if it happens again soon. He's so strong now though, I feel like he could just get up and walk around.

7 comments:

Tay said...

sigh. I wish I could help, but sean is the same way. You are not giving me a whole lotta hope for the future. Basically I just make Sean nap when I want him to. Luckily he sucks his thumb now. Maybe just feed him, change him, and put him in his crib until he falls asleep? OH! Put him next to things so he can't roll over? :) Good luck!

Kent said...

Chain him down with some cast-iron chains. That always seemed to work when Ralph wouldn't sleep. Which was never.

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

What a nightmare! We had Emma at church a few times all nakey due to a lck of extra clothing. He is bigger than Sara now- attaboy!

Lorana said...

It's a rare day that we DON'T change our baby's clothes because of diaper failure. I like to blame the diapers. I'm afraid I have failed many tests in Blowout Diaper Preparedness 101.
I would have to agree with Tay's suggestion. Sooner or later Will needs to have naps regularly. It stinks to have to teach him, but it sure pays off later.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Just wanted to clarify that Will was a great napper up until the last couple of weeks. He was sleeping for 2-4 hours at a time every 1.5 hours. Ah, those were the days. I think he's just changing again and we both have to learn how to adjust and get back into a routine.

mandy said...

The only thing that I know for sure about kids is that as soon as you think you have them all figured out, they change. Good luck with the sleeping--naps are the best.

How WT did you feel sitting there with a naked baby? That makes me laugh.

Anonymous said...

- Paula's axiom: if the diaper leaks, it's too small. Move up to the next size.

- Put Will in a corner of the crib so it's at least harder for him to turn over.

- Maybe now is a good time to have him learn to cry himself to sleep. Set a goal: I will let him cry 20 minutes before picking him up. Then move up to 25 minutes, etc. If there are pauses in his crying, that means he's making progress towards sleeping. If there are never any pauses, it's hopeless.