It began this morning with ants in the kitchen. After I finished my cereal, I noticed an abundance of ants tromping around the sink, and the more I looked, the more organized they got. Soon I noticed a distinct trail leading from the top of the kitchen window. So, we cleared out the kitchen and Aaron sprayed Raid. Crisis averted.
We had a good day at church and met a new couple who have a baby girl who was born only 2 days before Will. This was great news for me, since it seems like there are only childless couples and couples with 3 or more kids. I showed them to Sunday School and sat by Tiffany during RS and Will and Lily Mae got acquainted. We invited them over to dinner, and they would be joined by another couple from our ward who goes to dental school with Aaron.
We come home, put Will to bed for what would be a 4-hour nap (I gotta love this kid and his naps!) and start making all the food. I made a foolish mistake of putting the potato peelings down the disposal and ended up clogging our sink. With our guests coming in a half hour, having a presentable non-clogged kitchen sink was kind of a necessity. Well, seeing as Maintenance takes an average of 2 weeks to show up, Aaron went to it. He is my hero. He unclogged the sink in less than 10 minutes. And we cleaned up and it was as if it never happened, despite the dinner being a little later than usual. Next crisis averted.
The guests arrived and I scurried around in our million degree kitchen to finish dinner: beef roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed veggies, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. In the meantime, I was trying to wake up Will (who had slept for 4 hours at this point and was still incredibly drowsy) at the same time as entertaining our 5 guests. Now the home teachers, who we've never met at this point, decide that now would be a grand time to 'pop in'. And did I mention that sweat was pouring down my back?
Well, the home teachers only stayed for a second since they could see we were busy, so we got started on dinner. It was a pretty good dinner and we had fun chatting with everyone. I baked the cookies right after we ate, but since I cooked two batches at once and the oven was still hot from the roast, they got a little burned on the bottom. But they still tasted good.
So, even though we had a few mini problems here and there, it was a fun day, and I only had to do two loads of dishes.
4 comments:
If you struggle with more ant attacks, I know a killer that works really well. You put bait out for them that they swarm and then they take it back and it kills the entire colony. It is called Combat ant killer. Hopefully, you won't need it!
Heidi!
I started reading your story a couple of days ago but was called away by The Boss and never got to finish. WHERE did it go???
That is funny, in our ward out here there are a lot of young couples and we are like the only ones that don't have kids. Most of them have 1 or 2 babies at least. I can also relate with the heat. It is so hot and humid here and for the last 2 weeks our AC has been out so it has been almost unbearable! They are here right now installing a new system so tonight I want to make it so cold that I will have to wear sweats to keep warm. It will be fantastic!
ANTS! I absolutely hate ants. They are so annoying and come from out of no where. This Summer I have had to deal with them in the kitchen and bathroom. I guess they are on the hunt for water. Pesty little guys drive me nuts!
Post a Comment