Sunday, August 3, 2008

Keeping up with the Jonesi

Yesterday Aaron and I finally went on a date without the baby for the first time in about a month. It was so great, although I was worried about Will the whole time. My cousin Sara babysat him though, so I really didn't have anything to worry about since she has three kids. Our date included going to Carraba's for dinner and then we went and saw 'The Dark Knight.' I was really excited to see this movie since I'd heard it was so good. My review: it was ok, but way too dark for me. Although I have to admit that the Joker was a very scary bad guy, he was just SO evil! But I'll have to see it again to really give my full approval or disapproval. However, it didn't help with my recent problem of waking up nervous and worried that someone is breaking in our house. It doesn't help that I'm reading the last Harry Potter as well as watching crime dramas at night. Do Monk and Psych count as crime dramas?

We are entering our third week of dental school and almost our fifth week of living in Arizona. We are adjusting pretty well and having fun. But here are the biggest adjustments so far (and yes these are mostly involving the heat):
1. The water: It's weird to turn on the cold water and have to wait several minutes for it to actually get cold. Usually the hot water tap beats the cold water tap at getting cool.
2. Not being able to be outside, unless I want to be completely miserable. I thought I would want to go to the pool all the time, but the thought of even walking over there when it's 120 degrees and then laying out in the sun is just blegh. But maybe I'll try it this week. It's not so fun to go swimming with a little baby, but maybe he's finally big enough to fit into swim diapers.
3. You know how some places overcompensate the hot weather by cranking the AC way too much? Well I thought they would do that here, but the only place I've actually been cold in was TGIFridays. Every other place was initially cold compared to the outside, but after a while I continue sweating. Maybe I've changed though, but all the younger married women at my ward today were all freezing when I was perfectly fine. And this is me, people. I am usually ALWAYS cold. But not anymore. Someone even brought a giant comforter blanket to church. I'm getting used to sweating indoors.
4. It doesn't cool down. Ever. At night it gets down to 102 if we're lucky. So I don't wanna hear anymore about anyone complaining that it's so hot!

Okay, that's it. I won't say anything else about the heat, I promise. I mean, I'll try.
Tune in next time for something a little more interesting.

5 comments:

kurt said...

The reasons you thought Dark Knight was 'ok' were the exact reasons I thought the movie was so awesome. I needed more Joker in it, though. Not nearly enough Joker. If more movies were like the Dark Knight, the world would be a better place. Much better.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy hearing about your weather but can't imagine anyone being hotter than I am in the late afternoons.

HayLee said...

That is awful. I hate being hot more than anything. I would rather puke than be too hot.

Tay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tay said...

Monk has been kinda scary lately, but Psych? Nah, i would put that into crime solving comedy drama. it's such a fun show.
Arizona is hot. I know. I grew up there. Don't worry, you will like the winter unless you love snow. For your sake, I hope that you acclimate. In the meantime, sleep with a towel-covered ice pack at the foot of your bed and keep your feet on it as you fall asleep.