Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bedtime

This has just been one of those weeks. Up and down, good and bad. Doctors appointments, shots, mail mishaps, stiff necks (just one, mine), late bedtimes, broken ornaments, too many errands to run, etc. One great thing though is that Will has returned to taking great naps. Which reminded me of one of my favorite pastimes...sleeping.
This is my bed. I am very happy with it. I have only recently discovered how great our mattress actually is. After moving this year and travelling a lot, I have slept on a lot of different beds, and none, in no way, compare to how soft and cozy my own bed is. So I now appreciate my bed more than ever before, especially because it was free. Yes, free. Thanks Dave and Rae, for this excellent hand-me-down.
And I've been through a lot of good times with this bed. When we first got married, it was just a mattress with a box spring and frame. Then we added new sheets and a down comforter. Then we discovered an old shabby-looking headboard sitting in the trash pile of my brother's neighbors house. So I asked them if we could have it, and after sanding it down and spray painting it black, it works perfectly.
Then we realized that our down comforter was shedding like there was no tomorrow. A light dusting of feathers covered everything in our bedroom, as if it had snowed inside. And Aaron had developed a chronic cough, and after a trip to the doctor and remembering his dormant allergy to feathers, we put away the comforter and bought a hypo-allergenic one.
Then we wanted more storage so we bought the IKEA bed-lifts and raised our bed up about 4 inches. Unfortunately, the IKEA bed lifts are made terribly and we ended breaking almost every single one. So I bought some different ones at Walmart, and they have worked perfectly. But the underside of our bed could be seen to everyone and was an eyesore. So I discovered the perfect solution: a bedskirt from BBandB that could be as short or as long as you wanted.
And that is how we ended up with our most wonderful bed today. I think I'll go take a nap now.

9 comments:

Tracie said...

Your bed is cute and looks comfy. I also love our bed. And sleeping. :)

Rae said...

I like your bed set up. It's so pretty and clean and "neat" feeling/looking. That's my favorite part of bedrooms. When they are so neat.

You're welcome for the bed. I'm glad that it has worked so well for you!

Tiffany said...

okay soo first of all kudos to you on having enough time to make the bed, I seem to go days without making a bed :( secondly free is good VERY good. and Lastly love the pics of Will at the pumpkin patch is he going to be a pumpkin for halloween?

Sunnie said...

i love your bed. i need to redo our room one of these days. i love our comfy sheets, but dislike my bedroom decor very much.

Lorana said...

I share your interest in sleep. I'm glad it is almost bedtime as I read your blog. Next time I can't sleep I'm going to read this entry because it is like a sleep appetizer.

Anonymous said...

hello, so i randomly stumbled upon this blog when searching for images of ASDOH on google. i just want to say how absolutely adorable this is! i know i'm just a random person, but i have an interview at ASDOH in november and i'm very nervous! i was wondering if you or your husband know approximately how many people they interview and how many of them they accept.

thank you, and i'm sorry if it's weird that a random girl is writing to you. i just thought this blog was so cute! :)

Janelle said...

There is no place like home, but there is really no place like your own bed!!!! With all the travel I have done this year, I always look forward to coming home to my own bed.

Heather said...

cute blog! I saw your blog on Britnee's, and yes I started reading, so call me a stalker. your family is so cute and you have such an adorable little boy! Hope you don't mind me reading your blog, we have one too...it jasonandheatherfamily.blogspot.com anywyas keep on blogging, i love reading them!

Kent said...

If you paid good money on your bed and bragged about it, you'd be a snob. But since you got it for free, you're just an awesome deal-finder/hand-me-down receiver. I'm jealous about your headboard, we really need one of those, but don't want to pay for one.