Friday, October 3, 2008

"If I don't love it, I don't swallow."

Well it's Friday night. That = Date Night. It is by far my favorite time of the week, with lazy Sunday afternoons coming in a close second. But ever since Aaron and I first got married, we have carried on the Ma and Pa Hansen tradition of going on a date. So far, we have been able to do it even with a baby, and have only not gone out a couple of times. It feels really weird to stay in on a Friday.
So tonight, we celebrated the first Friday of October by going to the new SanTan outdoor mall. We first went to a restaurant called Brio Tuscan Grille. We had seen it before but we couldn't remember if it was a fancier restaurant or not. We got in our typical casual date-night clothes, and once we arrived, felt a little underdressed. It was a nicer restaurant, one that I would not have worn jeans and flip flops to. We were pleasantly surprised to be seated immediately and the atmosphere was very warm and inviting. We had a cheerful waiter who recommended several dishes to us. After eating the bread and waiting about 10 minutes, our food came. It was very good, but the best part was the dessert! We weren't even going to order dessert, but he brought out these little shots of dessert-in-a-cup for only 2 dollars. This is the perfect dessert for restaurants. I always want something sweet after my meal, but I'm usually too full to eat a whole huge dessert, and not really wanting to pay 6 bucks for it. So we got the raspberry cheesecake one and it was SO good...perhaps the best cheesecake we've ever had. So there's my review of Brio Tuscan Grille...4.5 out of 5 stars. By the way, we have discovered that if we bring the Baby Bumbo with us to the restaurant (which, yes, looks silly) then Will is an angel the whole time. Before he would just get really whiny in the car seat so we'd end up holding him and the whole outing would become a chore. So just a little tip.
Afterwards we pulled out the stroller and strolled the mall area. We stopped in a cute candle shop and got sucked into buying halloween decorations, of which I am quite the sucker for. I just put my halloween stuff up today, so I'll post some pictures on My Right Brain soon. We also stopped at the puppy shop, which is always fun, and some other places. It's a nice mall and has a large play area for kids, which will be nice when Will gets a little older.
Anyway, we had to leave after awhile since Will was getting cranky. He has not been feeling well and has various symptoms which make him have some pain. He's also teething quite agressively since I barely touched his lower gums today and he started crying. But he's going to the doctor next week so maybe we'll find out what's going on with him.

5 comments:

mandy said...

I'm impressed! Our date night is almost a distant memory. Except for my sister, I haven't found anyone that I trust to watch all 4 kids. You've inspired me to try harder!

You've also got me wishing we had a Brio Tuscan Grill here.

JoEllen said...

We've been to that restaurant too, they have one at the Southlake shops/outdoor mall. (Also kind of a ritzy place, lots of high-end stores)I liked it but we had to wait for awhile, since it's very popular. Also on the pricey side, so it's a "special occasion" place.

Michelle Williams said...

I would love to come stay with you! It's going to be a really quick trip unfortunately. I fly into PHX on the 12th and fly out on the night of the 13th. Since I am in classes right now I can't be gone too long. I have been wondering if I should rent a car while I'm down there. Is it easy to get around with public transit or should I get a car? You can email me (probably an easier way to communicate :) mwilliams29atgmail.com). It would be so fun to see you and little Will!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like another good restaurant. Did you figure out the water-heater?

Kent said...

I used to love Friday nights too, the longest possible time before you have to go back to work/school. Unfortunately, that has been replaced by Saturday mornings as my favorite time because I am way too tired on Friday nights to enjoy my freedom. Now I get up early on Saturdays, rested and eager to begin my full day without work or church.

Lazy Sunday afternoons are my 2nd favorite as well.