Sunday, February 22, 2009

21 Tests in 21 Days

This is a little teaser because Aaron has promised to grace our readers with another blog posting in the near future. But in the meantime, I will inform you all of exactly why he doesn't have time to do it now (hint: it has to do with the subject title.)

Yes, Aaron has set a new record for testing. 21 tests in 21 days. Not all of the tests were technically categorized as tests by masquerading as quizzes, but he studied for them as hard as he would have for a test. But he did well on all of them, and we are happy to announce that this is the last week of the hard class section of dental school! After this next week, he will be working in the simulation lab mostly for the rest of the year. Hopefully this means less tests and more sleep for Aaron.

We have been struggling this week with one certain person who refuses to go to bed without crying or whining for about an hour before hand. No, not Aaron and not me. Will, our happy bed-goer, has become Will, the bed-wrestler. He is nearly impossible to handle, particularly when changing his diaper or his clothes. He twists and turns and crawls away as fast as his can. And he was toying with the idea of dropping one of his naps, although I refused to let him. And then there are his four top teeth which have recently all sprouted at the same time. So it has been exciting around here, but not very relaxing.

But he has also been very funny and cute, doing some silly things like snorting like a pig and smiling a cheesy grin and even occasionally saying 'cheese.' I wish I could get them on camera, but Will is much too fascinated by the camera to want to perform when it's around. He has also been a little bit better about eating his jarred baby food, especially when I let him spoon-feed himself, which he is surprisingly pretty good at. But that doesn't mean he still doesn't make a giant mess.Sorry I don't have more pictures of this week. This one will have to suffice.

Well, some of you may know that this Wednesday marks the first day of Catholic Lent. When I was about 13 or 14, I had a Sunday School teacher who was a convert from Catholicism, and he challenged us to participate in Lent by giving up something for 40 days. I gave up chocolate, and I was able to go the full 40 days without eating chocolate. And that was a huge deal for me because I love chocolate, to the point of addiction. So this year I am going to do it again, go the 40-day Lent without chocolate. It's good to have a challenge every once in awhile to prove to oneself that one still has a sufficient amount of self-control. Anyone else want to give up something for Lent?

9 comments:

JoEllen said...

Mark says he wants to give up beer. I'm still thinking about it...don't think I want to give up chocolate though. What would be left to provide happiness? Diffuse anger? Ease stress?

mandy said...

I have until Wednesday to decide one something? Maybe I'll join you with the chocolate...

Good job on the tests Aaron!

HayLee said...

Dental school seems tough once your in. Hope you two do well through these challenging times.

You know whats funny, is I remember when you did the no chocolate thing forever ago. That is funny. I think I will join you though. I want to loose weight and cutting out chocolate may just help. Opt for fruit!

Tracie said...

I also remember the "no chocolate" time. I don't think I will ever, ever, ever give up chocolate, even if it means I never get thin.

But I think it's brave of you to attempt. It is harder than most people realize giving up something you love. I for one don't think I could (nor would I want to).

Kent said...

I don't feel the need to give up something I love just to see if I can do it. Unless of course it was bad for me. But nothing is bad for me. I'm invincible!

And humble.

Tay said...

I'm giving up ice cream, but this might make me irritable. :)

Brian said...

I'll give up "Lindt," the German chocolate, for Lent. Otter be a piece o' cake. Just not German chocolate cake.

Lorana said...

Seriously considering laying off Facebook for the forty days.

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

This is a great idea! I am giving up carbonation.