Sunday, February 15, 2009

Nothing like a kid in candy store.

I think that I have an innate dread of Valentine's Day. Probably because everyone around me always made such a huge deal about it and made me feel like if I didn't get anything special then I should be super disappointed and mopey. My first Valentine's Day with a boyfriend was when I was 16 (sorry mom.) I made a gigantic deal about it and planned this huge surprise for my boyfriend. I decorated his room with hearts and valentines, got roses and Hershey kisses, framed a picture of the two of us, made a mix CD, etc etc. It was pretty crazy. So he didn't do anything for me all day, even after seeing my surprise. I was pretty mad, even though a better person than I would have not cared. But come on...who would NOT be disappointed? Well, much later that day, he paid me a visit and gave me a diamond ring. Ha! How weird! A 16-year-old kid gives his girlfriend a diamond ring?? And the funniest part was that he also gave me a few roses that were from the bunch that I gave him earlier that day.

This Valentines Day was pretty cool, I have to say. Aaron has never been an extravagant surprise planning guy, so I wasn't expecting surprises. That right there made this V-day better. So it started last Saturday when he took me to that chick flick. Then he brought home some of my favorite flowers, tulips, on Tuesday. Then on Friday, he took me to this restaurant that we've been wanting to try, the Grand Lux Cafe. It was kind of a big deal to go to this restaurant because it's about half an hour away in Scottdale, in the Fashion Square Mall. This mall is huge...I think it's one of the biggest malls in America. So here's a quick review of the restaurant:

Disappointed. We'd heard good things about it. We heard that it was like Cheesecake Factory, but thought that it shared some similar characteristics, not completely identical. Okay, it wasn't COMPLETELY identical, but it was pretty dang close. The only noticeable differences were that it was more expensive. The decor and atmosphere was pretty much the same and the food had the same kinds of tastes. So we were disappointed because if we wanted to go to the Cheesecake Factory, which is like 5 seconds away from our house, we would have gone to it, and liked it better since we know what is good there, and ordered a delicious piece of cheesecake. So, sorry to everyone who likes it, but we are probably never going there again. We love ourselves some Cheesecake Factory and will continue to go there.

Afterwards, we just walked around the mall for a little bit until Will politely informed us that he was ready to go home. Saturday we exchanged some funny cards (Aaron is very talented at picking out good cards) and just ate V-day candy and watched movies all day. I felt like puking later on, but it was an awesome and relaxing day. Also it was my brother's birthday, so happy birthday to him! What an unfortunate thing, to have to share your birthday with a holiday.

Sorry I don't have many pictures to share, but this week kind of whizzed by. I don't even really remember it. The only thing I really remember is that Will has gotten so much better at crawling, and doesn't complain about doing it now. When he first ventured onto the hard kitchen floor he did, and refused to hurt his poor knees to get back onto the carpet. But now he is cruising around, looking so dang cute, and is starting to pull himself up a little bit.

He was horrendous at church, as always, but worse since he wanted to crawl everywhere and not sit still for a second. He also has a cold so we wanted to keep him away from the other kids. It doesn't help that he has decided that he is done with afternoon naps (so he thinks.) But the good news is that his two front teeth, which I thought would have cut two weeks ago, finally cut through. Those were some stressful ones, geez. And that's all the news.

Oh, yeah. Aaron and I are fine, despite our bitterness at not getting President's Day off tomorrow.

5 comments:

JoEllen said...

Your roses are lovely. Glad you had a nice Valentine's week. And congrats to Will on growing his rabbits!

mandy said...

No President's Day off? What kind of Americans are running that place? I love the tulips--beautiful.

Kent said...

I don't feel bad for not venturing out to try other restaurants because why not just go with what you know is good? If I'm paying 10-20 bucks for a meal, I want a sure-fire delicious one. That's why we always go to Chili's. I love the baby back ribs and the molten lava cake, it's delicious every time. Although it's not very close to us, but we don't have many close.

JenRN said...

next special day - try eating at Roy's i Scottsdale... one of my favs! love that mall & i miss it... i think the Houston Galleria is bigger.... xoxo

Pete said...

I like the story about the kid who gave you some of your own roses. How classy. What did he think, you wouldn't remember? You wouldn't notice?