Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Blog in Mind: Movies

I had in mind a different blog post that I wanted to do, but it requires a little photo documentation of which I do not have at present. So I am going to do a quick movie review of three movies we've watched recently. Bear in mind that my movie grades are just based on how much I liked them.

Nick & Norah's Infinite PlaylistA little teenage treat. At times, adorable. But I have to say, also horrible. There were some little 'nuggets' that I really did not enjoy seeing, and I think too many of them for this movie to receive my commendation. Let me just say this: The gum thing was disgusting. This movie had the potential to be a really great movie, but was kind of ruined for me by said nuggets. But Michael Cera (of Arrested Development fame) was really funny, at his best I think. And the girl, Kat Dennings, was actually pretty good too, although I was expecting her to really bug me. C-

The Other Boleyn GirlDid I love it or hate it? I'm leaning towards hating it, but there was a lot to love as well. I loved the costumes, the filming, the acting. Scarlett Johannson and Natalie Portman both do a great job in their respective roles and are very believable. That being said, the guy who played their brother did a good job as well, though his character definitely got the short end of the stick. But I hated the depressing story line, how it started out pretty bad and just got worse and worse, to the point of beheading and death. (Is that a spoiler? It's based on a true story, people.) Watching it brought to mind the Hotel Rwanda issue. Horrible movie because of the sad and depressing story line, but very interesting and good acting. But I liked this movie better. I just have to say: Henry the VIII was a serious tool. B

The Rocker
Quite possibly the sleeper of the three flicks. It definitely won't win any awards, and the plot was pretty feeble, but it was actually suprisingly hilarious. Rainn Wilson (forever Dwight in my heart) was really slapsticky funny, which humor I usually don't like, but in this case his facial expressions really helped pull it off. There was a fat kid with a very subtle sense of humor, the teenage angst heartthrob singer (which really helped that he is a singer in real life), and the hot chick who is trying really hard to convince everyone that she's awkward. But there are some great lines and really funny moments. If you can get past the typecasted Dwight character and give the new Rainn Wilson "Jack Black from School of Rock" character a chance. A-

6 comments:

Dawn Harvey said...

That other Boleyn girl scared the crap out of me. I mean, just thinking about seeing it did. I'm glad you reviewed it for me. Sheesh. I knew beheading was in there somewhere, but who wants to see it? I mean, seriously. The Dwight one though, I wouldn't have seen without your recommendation, so THANK YOU! I'll rent it soon. Let me just tell you that High School Musical 3 is a definite WINNER!

mandy said...

I've only seen The Other Boleyn Girl and I actually liked it. I read the book (which I loved) and so I was prepared for some of the yuckiness that goes down. I agree with you about Henry though.

I might check out The Rocker. I'm sure Adam would LOVE it.

BrItTneEanN said...

Thanks for the reviews, I was actually trying to think of some movies to add to our netflix list. So it was a big help.

Amy said...

Thanks for the movie reviews! I had wanted to see The Other Boelyn girl, but I think I can safely skip it without feeling a loss.

Sorry about your v-day dinner disapointment - your tulips were nice though!

Kent said...

Thanks for the reviews, I have updated my Netflix accordingly.

Kent said...

Oh, by the way, check out "Henry Poole Is Here". I enjoyed it, it's kind of a slow movie but I like those Gilbert Grape/Lars and the Real Girl slow-type movies. I'd give it an A-.