Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Time Enough

My cousin brought an interesting point to my attention: Did the first year of Will's life go by quickly?

My answer: yes and no. (Isn't that everyone's answer?)

Every year seems to go by quicker and quicker. Even today I am realizing "it's already Wednesday??" When I think about it that way, I wonder where did my life go?

On the other hand, last year at this time seems eons ago. I had a large pregnant belly, was trying to finish up school, was working, was living in a completely different state. Aaron had just gotten into dental school and we were planning that out, and it was cold and snow.

Today: I live in Arizona where there is no winter (which has really messed up time-keeping in general), am not in school, have no job, not pregnant, have a kid who is nearly a year old. My husband is in dental school and instead of worrying whether he'll be able to be a dentist or have to do something else, we are worrying about how to pay off our loans after this is over. And not to mention that I'm a mom, which really is something in itself.

Time seemed to slow down for periods, particularly during transitional phases. When we lived with my in-laws during the summer and I had a newborn baby and no car, time went VERY slowly. I enjoyed living with them, but there is just nothing like living in your own space to be able to completely relax and do what you want. I was just excited to move to Arizona and start our lives here.

It's been an interesting adjustment going from full-time student/employee to a stay at home mom. For the most part, Will is a pretty laid-back child and very easy to take care of. Even now that he's crawling, he's so chill and rarely gets into things he shouldn't (although that will probably increase as time goes by.) I know that being a full-time mom is a hard job, but I have to say that it's been a lot easier than a lot of other things I've done. I almost feel like this is a break. And I am enjoying it a lot. I finally have time to do projects and hobbies that I've set aside for a long time, I have time to really have good workouts, I have time to read or just veg, and I have time to build old and new friendships. Also I'm not really the type of person who needs to keep really busy, I appreciate having lazy times. But I do have to say, when #2 child comes around and I will probably say goodbye to most of my quiet time, I will be ready for it. Nothing can last forever, right? Oh and I love the fact that I don't have to work for some annoying boss at some annoying job where you constantly don't have enough to do or always have way too much to do.

So I have to say that although this year may have gone by a bit slower than others, I like it that way. It's nice to slow down life every once in a while to just appreciate living.

7 comments:

Grant and Stacy said...

I was just thinking how nice it is that my kids are a little more independent and I can start doing more stuff for myself, too. Then, I found out I was pregnant with #4. I guess the "me" time will just have to wait. Some day! hopefully by then I won't be so warn out that I won't want to do anything! Sounds like you had an eventful year!

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I love this post and I can totally relate. People say having kids makes the days long and the years short- or something to that affect, but for me it has always seemed the opposite. My days rush by, but when I take inventory of the happenings of a year, it seems like a life age!

Kent said...

I'm not sure what to say except that I enjoyed the post. Most. Boring. Comment. Ever!

Tay said...

It's so interesting to look back and wonder where the time has gone. And then look at now and wonder how all of this has transpired. I hear you on the free time, and it's so nice now, but it's coming to an end eventually... :)

Darin and Kali said...

I totally agree! It is going by so fast! And I can totally relate to appreciating "nothing to do" I love those moments!

Janae said...

I liked this post. Now that I think about it, I was ready for baby #2 when he came along. 1 baby was a piece of cake, and being suddenly home w/ so much time on my hands was an adjustment. With two, I feel like our family's complete (for now!). Definitely crazier, but fun. And I agree, I'd much rather be a mom than working at some awful job.

mandy said...

I do have to confess that sometimes my (4!) bosses are annoying and often I either have too much to do or not enough. Lucky for me I have job security.