This little anecdote leads me to my latest list: The Fruit List. My brother did one of these and inspired me to list mine. I also feel that it is important that all my friends and family know the intimate details that make me such a complex person, so this is definitely a list you will not want to miss, people.

10. Banana. I like them mostly for their convenience.
9. Peach. Only if I don't have to bite into the fuzzy skin, which always leaves prickles in my lips.
8. Pineapple. Preferably from Hawaii. But I guess I'll eat the Macey's ones too.
7. Strawberry. These would rank higher except that I'm a little sick of them.
6. Cherry. The worm and bird-free kind.
5. Grapefruits. But only if my mom cuts out each section for me.
4. Watermelon. I love watermelon because it is so refreshing, especially in the hot summer. And I'm equally sad that Aaron hates it.
3. Clementine oranges. The perfect fruit for all occasions, and fits perfectly in the toe of the stocking at Christmas. Easily peeled in one peel, rarely have seeds, and the perfect size so you aren't sick of it by the time you're done.
2. Raspberry. When I lived at home, my mom had a gigantic raspberry bush (technically it's still there even though I am not living there.) But I would stand out there and pick all the ripe ones and devour them on the spot. I love the sweet taste and the texture. And the jams and smoothies are delish, sans seeds. One of the many weaknesses of their kind. Also weak arms.
1. Mango! This is not one of my brother's favorites, as I was appalled to learn. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't always see the merit of mangoes. My mom would occasionally buy them and cut them up and I could never figure out where the pit was or if the flavor outweighed the shapeless, overly-juicy, yellow mess. But one day I was watching the food network and someone showed the most efficient way of cutting a mango, and every since I started cutting mangoes that way I have discovered that I love them. Also I loved the mango smoothie when I worked at Jamba Juice.
This is how it should look if you have cut the mango correctly. All other ways should be considered an utter utter failure.And of course my most favorite fruit is FROO.
12 comments:
I don't see the appeal of mango. I've tried to like it, but I just don't. I do like it IN things, but not raw fruit itself. It's just weird flavored to me.
That's sad that Aaron doesn't like watermelon. I love it. It's one of the best parts about summer. Because although I love me some melon, I can't stand gross watermelon. (The overly watery and/or dry, tasteless kind.)
("Also arms." You kill me sometimes.)
I'm considering writing Starburst a letter of complaint about the strawberry situation and also a suggestion that they discontinue all cherry flavored Starbursts immediately. You want in?
I think mangoes taste like dirt. Yeah, that's right. I agree with everything else though except I'm not certain I've ever actually eaten a grapefruit. I should probably look into that. I used to really hate watermelon but I've learned how to pick a good one, plus sprinkle a little salt on top (mmm, healthy) so I like it now.
Wow who knew that I was so alone in my mango-loving?
Mangos are not my fav either... but if do eat them, I prefer them with SOY SAUCE! Yes, I know that is crazy. Maybe its becuase they really taste like dirt (as Mandy says) and I need to cover up that taste. This was truly inspirational and it will inspir me to also make a fruit list... hhhmmm
I also must leave you alone in your mango-loving. They seem bland to me.
Aren't clementines tangerines?
Fun post! Mark calls nectarines "fake peaches" because he can't remember their names. I asked, "fake peach?" and he said, "Yeah... tastes like a peach, looks like a peach, but it's not a peach- fake peach!" And I think ripe nectarines are heaven because you don't have to deal w/ that fuzz stuff.
By the way, we got the package today!! That's right, less than 2 days after you mailed it the cheapest way possible! (remember, i was on the phone and heard you talking to the postal clerk) Amazing! Max looked intrigued w/ the puzzles but hasn't figured out how to put them together yet. I'm not sure he's much like Tyler after all.
And I love mangoes, by the way. Unless they are over/under ripe.
Pete loves mangoes. And so does Jason. And so does Soul Coughing: "Move up side and let the mango through" (from "Super Bon-bon").
When we were in Thailand, we had the chance to eat super fresh mangoes. And...my opinion is still the same. Just not that tasty.
So at the beginning of the post you complain about not getting enough Strawberry Starburst, but then you're sick of them later?!?!
And I love Orange Starbust. I rank them thusly:
1. Red (Poo on Mandy!)
2. Orange (Poo on you!)
3. Pink (Poo on me!)
4. Starving to death
5. Lemon (Poo on Starburst!)
I LOVE Mangoes! Maybe not #1, but definitely up there. Don't like Watermelon, though. Sorry.
I think you should read my book reviewing blog because I just did a Shannon Hale and that's what you've been wanting to hear about. Just thought I'd shamelessly promote myself.
Sorry I am not here sooner to support you on the Mangos. I think mangos are also numero uno and I am not alone in this assessment. In Manila, we just had a group of new people arrive and for lunch we ordered the mango shake for them. They were all astounded by the deliciousness. I cannot vouch for mangos in Thailand, but Filipino mangos rock. Mexican mangos (which is mostly what you see in the US) are subpar, so I can understand why most people have a dismal opinion of them.
Good list. I will come out with my top fruit list sometime. Then we can compile them like the AP poll.
Sigh. Does no cousin recall the boysenberry jam of yesteryear?!
Post a Comment