Wednesday, April 2, 2008

C Sections?

So I went to my doc today and he said that for my breech baby, I have two options: They can try to flip him into a head-down position or just schedule a C-Section. Here's the pros and cons

Flip:
50% success rate
Very uncomfortable
If successful, can do a regular vaginal delivery
Continue taking the chance of taking longer to have the baby and have to put up with the horrible rash for who knows how much longer
Chance that something could happen during the flip and would go into emergency c-section anyway

C-Section:
Have baby on a certain day (it would be 4/15)
Know when the rash can start getting better
Have a longer healing time
Have a possibly harder time dealing with recovery and taking care of the baby

Anyways, we have a scheduled 'flip' for this Friday. I feel that if I just decided to do a c-section without trying to flip and I had a rough time with the c-section, I would regret not trying to flip and have a normal delivery. However, I know there are a lot of people out there with experiences or comments about C-Sections and/or flipping a breech baby, and I want to know what they are. Please share!

7 comments:

Sunnie said...

never had a c-section, but my sis has had two. the recovery is really hard i think in comparison. but the good news is no real labor and you know when the baby is coming and the process is pretty quick. i would probably try to flip first also. the worst that could happen is a c-section anyways. i hope it's not too painful and that the baby stays head down. good luck!

Christina said...

A co-worker of mine said when she had this happen to her she played some music down at her feet so the babe would flip towards it and it worked. Totally unscientifically proven, but maybe worth a try!

Tracie said...

I'm so sorry about your rash and the possibility you may have to have a c-section. I really hope the flip works for you. I haven't talked to you in a little while. Call me if you need anything.

Robnz Fam said...

Hey Heidi, I know this might sound kinda silly if your not into this kind of stuff...but I took hypnobirthing and learned A LOT of things about breech babies. I'll just tell you a couple of things in case you are not really into this stuff. We were told that if your baby is breech, then talk to that baby at least 20 minutes a day. Tell him that he needs to turn to be able to have a easy and comfortable delivery. There has been great success with stories like this. I don't have proof, nor do I have a website with statistics with the success, but it can't hurt! The theory is that if the baby does not turn then there is a reason for it. (cord too short, will be safer for c-section, etc.) I was breech at week 37-38 and talked to my baby and she was head first by the time delivery day came! I just wanted to throw these suggestions out in case you want to try, wouldn't hurt anything! Let me know if you want to know anything else :0).

Kristie said...

First off, both Maria and Abbie were breach at the end of my pregnancy. With Maria they were not successful, but with Abbie they were successful in turning. It's not as bad as you may think. With Abbie I had a lot of amniotic fluid also, and I could feel her constantly moving. She would move her head from the 7 o clock position to the 2 o clock all the time. (Put 12 o clock up near your chest) When they tried to move her, her head was at 2 o clock, and so they tried to go around clockwise. Unsuccessful. I told the doctors to try to move her the other way - which was more moving, but it worked. As soon as they succussfully turned her, they broke my water and then 12 hours later she was born. They were not able to turn Maria, but she turned to the right position on her own within a few days.
My friend has had the same condition of itchiness with each of her 3 babies. She explained it to me as her body was allergic to being pregnant. With her last pregnancy (3rd), she started to get hive like things all over her body, (not just the belly) which actually took a week after delivery to get better. So hopefully yours will stay contained to your belly - although I feel for you. How awful! This will come to an end - even though it may seem an eternity away right now.
Our family will start praying for you and your son.
we love you.

Janae said...

Yikes, having babies is so hard. I had that same rash with my first. It is AWFUL.

I've had both a C-section (with Aubrey, my 1st) and VBAC (vaginal birth after ceasarean)with Zach. I took the Bradley 12 week course which really helped me to deliver naturally the 2nd time. If you lay on your left side at night, it helps to get the baby to be head down, face down. It sounds like your baby likes to move a lot, so he could just flip on his own.

I could've chosen to have my 2nd c-section also, but I knew I'd regret never knowing if I could've had a vaginal. It sounds like if the flip works, you'll be the same way. I wish you luck. Next time around, I recommend the Bradley Course cuz it REALLY teaches you how to relax. I'm thinking of you and praying for you. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help with any other questions...

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I know this is late- but I just wanted to throw out some words of encouragement. I had both of my babies c-section for medical reasons, and they really were not so bad. Emma had the cord around her neck, and Sara was breech. I recovered really quickly both times. I kind of regret that I will never have that natural experience, but it also felt good to know the time and date, and to know that I would not have to deal with very many complications for the baby. I can heal- but a small baby may not have as good of a chance with all of the possible complications of labor. Anyway, I know things will work out the way they should. I just wanted to kind of quell the fear of the c-section. If that is what needs to happen, it will be fine.