Friday, April 11, 2008

Live From Provo...It's William Aaron!!

To all of you doubting Thomases, here I am, faithfully blogging not 7 hours from my son's birth. I wanted to record this experience right when it was fresh in my mind. So, while I am slowly regaining use of my right hand, I will write the nitty gritty details, and if you don't want to hear, don't read. The choice is yours (at chuckarama.)
I slept terribly last night. Then I had a dream that I woke up late and then I actually DID wake up late. So Aaron and I hurried as fast as we could to the hospital. We arrived and they took us to an official labor and delivery room for surgery prep, including an ultrasound which showed he was still breech, an IV which didn't hurt nearly as much as last week, shaving, an epidural, and a catheter. The epidural was not quite as pleasant as I was expecting. But then, I am kind of a wimp. But the anesthesiologist was incredibly nice and patient with me. Becoming completely numb from the chest down while my right arm was continually being squeezed with a blood pressure thingy was probably the most miserable part. It felt like I had restless leg syndrome or something and couldn't make it go away. I had the thought, 'Ok, I actually don't want to do this anymore...let's go home.' Well, obviously I couldn't do that, so they wheeled my on my bed into the OR. That was also weird to be wheeled on a bed while completely vertical. The strangest part was being in the OR. I have never had surgery before and I was already feeling very doped up and extremely tired. My body was numb so I barely knew they were cutting into me, but one of the layers they cut was a lot more sensitive so I started feeling a lot more pain. That was when they decided to give me a lot more drugs and then I was almost completely out...I BARELY remember when Aaron showed me the baby, and I just remember the nurse saying 'William?' and Aaron confirming it. We named him William Aaron Ferguson, after my grandfather William Hansen but also after several other Williams in history whom we admire, but we're going to call him Will. He weighs 8 lbs and 7 oz and is 20 inches long, so he is a good-sized kid! Anyways, everything after that is pretty blurry too, until they took me to see Will in the NICU.
Why the NICU? you might ask. Well nothing huge, it's just that his lungs weren't quite inflating right from the transition to being in fluid to breathing air, so they were trying to fix it and were about to intabate him but then he just got better. So he went to the regular nursery after that. I saw him in my bedmobile for a few minutes and watched as Aaron was such a good dad and holding his son, trying to keep his breathing apparatus on and his pacifier in. Then they wheeled me to mother/child to my room for the next four days. And this is where I have been for the last 7 hours or so, sleeping on and off. I can only eat a liquid diet which has made me incredibly hungry but my intestines are pretty messed up from the surgery so I have to wait a little while for certain occurances to take place and then I can eat. They said that tonight once all the numbness wears off they will help me to walk, which I have heard is VERY painful the first time you try. I haven't had too much pain so far though, and have tried to stay on top of my meds so I don't have to feel it.
FINALLY at about 2:45 they wheeled in Will, asleep. Aaron was good about taking videos of everything though, so I watched those and was able to see my poor baby cry and cry and cry as he got all fixed up. I'm so happy that now he's peacefully asleep and recovering from his traumatic experience of being born and then having a bath. As my hand is finally becoming un-numb, I want to try nursing him when he wakes up.
Well folks, here's what most of you will skip to, the pictures!! He is so stinkin cute, especially for a newborn baby in my opinion. He totally has Aaron's head shape, but I think he has a Hansen nose, which I am happy for because I like my nose a lot, not because I don't like Aaron's nose, but I wanted him to look a little like me! Of course he will change a lot in the next several weeks, so then we'll really have to see.

*Note: blogger is not working for adding pictures right now which is very lame, so I will try again later. Patience!

16 comments:

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Congratulations Heidi! Don't let the nirses scare you too much, the walking isn't so bad the first time- I highly doubt it comes anywhere close to actual child birth. I am glad that everything worked out.

Driel said...

Congrats!!!! I cannot wait to see pictures. That is crazy they had to give you more medication. I am glad you are blogging!

Michelle Williams said...

Congratulations, Heidi! I am so happy for you. You are a great mom!

Janae said...

So glad things went well! I was praying for you this morning. My hubby wanted to name our boy William, too, but it just didn't seem right for our boy. Can't wait to see pictures!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, you are a blogger on steroids. Literally. Way to go, Heidi! The first Hansen C-section! Pretty dude. I read the whole play-by-play and didn't faint once. I'm so proud of me. I guarantee not one, but two faintings when Alice gives birth.

-KCH

Christina said...

Congratulations! I hated that blood pressure monitor too, it was the worst.

Stephen said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you- now you have your little boy, too! It sounds like things went great! And now you are un-pregnant! Yeah! :) Congratulations, you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Heidi and Aaron!! Little Will has all ready been added to the Broadbent website, and you will be proud to know he is the 75th great-grandchild and the 164th member of the family. Way to go!!

Pete said...

Wow. Very impressive getting a blog entry in so soon - I figured it would be Aaron pinch hitting or something. Congrats on little Bill (or Will?), though I thought my suggestion of Frankie was a good one.

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

congratulations. i'm so glad everything went well. :) I can't wait to see Baby Will!

Austin said...

congrats! i'm amazed, at the miracle of life and whatnot, but ESPECIALLY the miracle of blogging shortly after giving birth. Kudos. Or whatever kind of chocolate covered granola bar you prefer.

Super congrats to you guys, and welcome William Aaron!

Allison said...

Congratulations Heidi! I can't wait to see pictures!

Robnz Fam said...

Hooray!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so excited little Will made it here safe and sound and you are doing well too. Have fun with him! They grow so super fast! I can't wait to see pictures of that handsome little boy!

Sunnie said...

congrats on the baby! i'm so happy for you guys. can't wait to see the pictures. good luck with everything over the next few weeks!

mandy said...

Hooray! Congratulations! I am so glad that everything went o.k. and that you and the baby are doing well. Will is an adorable name.

Kent said...

Awesome. I'm so proud of you for doing your blogging job before you went out and played with Will. If we had a job chart, we would put you on blogging every week.

Also, it'd be awesome if you spaced your posts just a tad bit more, with more paragraphs and stuff. Easier to read and all that. But I'm just proud of you for being such a good poster.