During my blog stalking, I read several people's stories of how they met their spouse and it inspired me to copy them and follow suit (I'm from the department of redundancy department.) So here it is:
Part 1: The Company Formerly Known as APEX
Like always, I needed a summer job. My cruel parents actually made me pay for my own stuff so I was constantly having to hop from job to job and since my current former job as a secretary at BYU Evening Classes was only part time, I had to quit unless I wanted to work two jobs, which I did not, thank you very much. I found a viable option in the Daily Universe, and I set up an interview.
After the interview, I had a very good feeling. Not only had I aced the interview (I have to admit that I have an amazing talent of acing interviews) but I just felt very good about this job, like something very good would happen to me while I worked there.
Weeks went by and nothing very good had happened. In fact, it was shaping up to be a pretty lousy job. The work was incredibly mundane and while I thought it would be a good place to meet friends, the only people I sat by were very annoying, especially this girl named Lindsay. She talked about herself incessantly, and by the third day of me working with her, I knew everything about her, including the fact that her father had recently died, she had an abnormally giant stomach while being incredibly skinny, and she won some lame contest for sounding just like Britney Spears. Actually I think I knew those things after the first hour of meeting her. What do you say to someone you barely know when they say their father just died a month ago? I'm so...sorry, George. I ended up phasing her out of regular conversation and just listening to my ipod and books on CD.
Well I knew something had to change in order for me to survive the summer. I tried moving to sit in different areas of the communal workspace, which worked a lot better. I made several other friends, but that's really not the point of the story, is it. Back on track: The first once-over.
I saw him standing a distance away, and as was my habit, I checked him out and made my judgement based on looks. He was cute, had a trendy haircut and was wearing a tightish t-shirt and boot-cut jeans. He had huge biceps and was way too outgoing for me. He was friends with most all of the girls who had worked at Apex awhile, including Kandice, a girl who intimidated the heck out of me. She had an icy stare that was occasionally interrupted by her loud 'popular' talk with all her girlfriends. It's hard to explain, but she seemed to be someone I would never be friends with. (SPOILER ALERT: Don't worry, for those of you know actually know Kandice, we later become friends) But back to the guy: this guy, I decided, was not for me. He was definitely not my type. He looked like one of those guys who didn't care about school and wanted to work at Apex and 'hang out' with girls for the rest of his life. But boy was I wrong.
Tune in next time for Part Due: The Phone Call! Find out what happens on the phone! If anything!
5 comments:
Ahh! I totally thought that I was 'Lindsay' and you were putting a code name on her ;0). Then I realized that my father is still alive and well. That is sad though. Anyway, you were a joy to work with :0). I can't wait to hear the phone call!!!
I love these type of blog posts. Its so exciting even though I know the end!
So excited to read more! Hope all is going well, we really miss you guys, hope to see you at least once before you leave!!!
I think we've all learned an important lesson here: Don't judge a book by its cover. Or is it "Don't wear white after Labor Day?" Whatevs.
Post a Comment