Sunday, June 8, 2008

You're all so much bigger than your action figures! Except you Mantis...you're about the same.

Part Due: The Phone Call
On July 20, 2005, I went home from work early, feeling sick. I was also dreading going to traffic school up in Sandy that night, which is another story. Anyway, I lie in bed in the dark, thinking my various thoughts about life, when my cell phone rang.
“Hello?” said I.
“Hi, Heidi?” a male voice was on the other end.
“Yes?”
“This is Aaron from Apex!”
“Who?”
“Oh I guess you don’t know me yet. But anyway, I am going to this rodeo tonight with some friends and Kandice told me I should ask you!” or something like that. My memory is not what it used to be.

Here’s what I was thinking: First, who the heck is this kid on the phone? Second, why did Kandice tell him to ask me? She doesn’t even know me. That must mean that they asked several of the other girls at Apex first and they couldn’t go because after all, the rodeo was that very night. He must be some guy trying to scrounge up a date at the last second and now is getting desperate and calling girls he doesn’t even know. So this is why I did not feel bad when I said this:

“Oh, actually I’m sick. And I have to go to traffic school tonight anyway. Sorry!”

And what followed also surprised me because I would have thought after asking several of the other girls at the office he would be used to rejection. Plus he didn’t even know me right?

“Oh dang! I wanted to hang out with you. We should chill sometime!!”
“Uh, yeah sure. Bye.”

Convinced that I was not missing anything by rejecting this random guy, I hung up the phone, and tried to put it out of my mind, despite the fact that I hadn’t been on a date in over a month.

4 comments:

MamiJo said...

And... and...and!!!! Come on, you can't stop there! Totally leaving us hanging! (even though I know this story, I don't know every detail!)

Amy said...

Okay, these stories are so cute and funny you should turn them into a novel. I am serious! You could be writng the next twilight series, sans the vampire element!
Can't wait to hear more.

Kent said...

And they lived happily ever after. The end.

I think we've all learned an important lesson today: Everybody deserves a chance, even if they look like they are a playa and are friends with evil Kandice.

Austin said...

i know! i'm surprised you didn't let him date you sooner. (but what man can tame her?)

i remember you were getting pretty pathetic. ;)