Part 7: The Aftermath
Aaron and I quickly became serious and it was so great to date someone who never tried messing with my head with stupid games. We had spent every night together into the wee hours of the morning and were very sleep deprived. However, about a week after our first date, we had something of a drawback in our relationship (yes it was already a relationship after one week. Hello, we did go to BYU.)
We were going to a wedding reception with my best friend Shera and her hubby Ben. At this point, I had never seen Aaron dressed up in Sundee Best. He arrived at my house wearing a shirt with turquoise stripes and a tie that had pink, purple, and turquoise in it. It really took me by surprise. But we went to the reception and I tried not to care what he was dressed in. The funny thing is, most girls get bugged when guys don’t dress well. I was a little weirded out that Aaron seemed to dress way TOO good. Throughout the night we had a great time, and Aaron was a perfect gentleman. He even stole a rose from one of the wedding tables to give me. Thinking back, he was being very cute and I miss it! But at the time I was a little embarrassed. I have never been very good at being with people who, for lack of better words, treat me well. It was always easier to be with a jerk who barely paid attention to me because then I always had a reason to complain about them and I sure was never embarrassed that they were being too sweet. We had a really wonderful night together, after the reception we all went to Ben’s parents house and watched a movie together. It was about 4 am when Aaron dropped me off.
Throughout the night I had been having a lot of anxiety about Aaron, doubting my feelings and whatnot. So just before he dropped me off, I told him my doubts and he felt very sad. He told me that since we were both so tired, we should wait until the next day to decide whether we should break up or not. That was a good call on his part, because the next day in church I was singing a duet and was very nervous. But when I spotted Aaron in the back, I felt so happy and relaxed. I even talked to the Bishop about Aaron and he told me to just keep dating him and see what happens. Later that evening we went on a walk and I told him that I decided to stay with him…man was THAT the right decision. It pains me to think that there was ever a time when I thought I didn’t want to be with Aaron. We joke now that I almost broke up with him because I didn’t like his shirt. But I think that seeing him in that shirt (although I made him get rid of the tie) made me realize how I had just jumped into this serious relationship with a guy I didn’t really know. It was also kind of hard because at first we didn’t really get each other’s senses of humor and I wished he would make me laugh more. I told my sister about this and she said that when she was first dating her husband Mark, she told him ‘you could be funnier.’ But I am glad that I stuck it out because as we became better friends, we started to really get each other’s humor and now we make each other laugh all the time.
5 comments:
I remember you 2 showing up to my poorly attended Goodbye Party at Fudd's the night before I drove to Boston. That was the first time I met Aaron, seemed like a pleasant fellow. Boy, was I wrong. Also, I think Lana was born that day.
That is one really long paragraph.
Aaron does dress too good. My Gaydar is going crazy just thinking about it.
Except you forgot to put in the part where I told you that I told Mark that too, but as I got to know him better, realized he was pretty funny after all.
When I read the title I totally hear it in Pedro's voice...is there any other way? And now I'm wondering if all the Hansens have to be convinced they're in love with you...any other in-laws who read this, let me know...
Post a Comment